dsl and cable at the same time?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lolufunny, Apr 22, 2003.

1. lolufunny

lolufunny Private E-2

i am cancelling my dsl account for a cable connection. my dsl connection will still be active when the cable is ready to go. i was just curious to know if there was a way i can use both connections simultaneously to increase download speed.

2. Johner

Johner Private First Class

Umm...doubtfully. Two ethernet card running at sametime on two seperate line, look like IRQ headaches. I dunno if it can be done, or anyone ever did it.

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

actually you can..
    you can have one nic for one connection config and one nic for another connection config. Downside is you can't use both lines simultaneously. You'll have to specify which connection you want to use for say, IE or outlook etc..

4. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

5. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

And then you have two IP adresses. This works for some transfers and not for others. Any protocol that establishes a "tunnel" from one IP to another does not see a speed boost.
    I ran two cable modems for a bit and most games did not speed up. Net access was downright wierd at times.
    Don't bother with it unless you really need speed and have a protocol that allows a multi IP addressing.

Since your DSL is leaving, upload anything you need to before it leaves. Cable is slow on the upload.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds