Here we go again

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I'm so tired of all this nonsense, it's so draining ...

Apparently, my "Hosts File" (whatever that is EXACTLY?) is locked or blocked or something/whatever. I'm getting this rather ominous message (among other messages) in my AVG Free scan: File - "Hosts" - Result/Infection - "Changed" - Path - "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" - and I understand next to nothing of what this means - even after registering, searching AND posting in the AVG Forums - no luck ...

I'm also not able to download anything, apparently (including multiple attempts to reinstall Ad-Aware, which I had to uninstall due to problems) nor an update from Dell Support to be able to analyze, my DELL!!! The Dell message comes back: "Your security settings do not allow this product to be downloaded".

Help?

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

Edit yout host file and should look like this...if it has more entry remove them....

#
    # This is a sample HOSTS file
    # It is a good, clean, empty copy.
    # There should be only one entry, that for the localhost
    # If the localhost entry is missing however, it's no big deal
    # If there are any other entries, your computer is likely to have been
    # infected with malicious software!!!
    #
    # The hosts file assigns the name of a web page/site on the Internet
    # to an IP address. This bypasses the normal DNS system.
    # Each entry should be on a single line. The IP address should
    # start in the first column followed by one or more spaces
    # followed by the web page/site name.
    #
    # Any line, such as this one, that starts with a number sign is a comment
    # Comments can also appear on a line with a real entry as shown below
    #
    # Sample Entries:
    # 123.98.76.54 news.yahoo.com # Yahoo News
    # 44.11.22.33 www.google.com # Google Home Page

127.0.0.1 localhost

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

My dear brother Clark Kent/Superman ... I can probably go by your layout here - IF ONLY I KNEW WHERE TO FIND THE HOST FILE OR LOCAL HOST OR WHATEVER IT IS (on Vista) - please??

Thanks.

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

This is an information notice not a warning of infection. You will see it every time your hosts list is updated
    Do you use Spybot? It will enter a list of sites that are known malware spreaders. (Other malware apps may also do this) These are to stop you from accidently going to them. Your hosts list should not be empty.

Attached is a shortened copy of mine.

For example: 007guard.com
    That is in my hosts list.
    007guard is adware.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Attached Files:

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok, thank you all. I DO use Spybot S&D, I just wish I knew where to find this mysterious host file or local host or whatever/wherever it is??

I also cannot figure-out why I can't doenload anything - and I can't run Ad-Aware, it's loaded on my PC, and I've used it plenty of times before, but when I try, the little swirling blue/green circle (in Vista) next to the arrow/cursor just immediately disappears.

And what do you mean when you say SpyBot will; "enter a list ..." of sites please??

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I edited my last post. Take a look at it. (About 007guard.com)
    You can find the HOSTS here.
    C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

7. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

When I do that search (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts), it comes back: "No items match your search". ?? I've searched "Everywhere", and am now doing an "Advanced Search", which may take a while as I have the indexing turned off.

~*UPDATE*~ Negative. Every search I've done there produces: "No items match your search".

Any other ideas??? Or could the host have been completely comprimised and blocked by some maggot hack?

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds