team.exe(main exception): unable to load library steam.dll

Discussion in 'Software' started by MasterDvs, Mar 29, 2008.

1. MasterDvs

MasterDvs Private E-2

team.exe(main exception): unable to load library steam.dll

steam.exe(main exception): unable to load library steam.dll i keep getting this error ive tryed to re-instal many times. ive tried to repair the files. i dont know what to do.. the program wont even load it goes to that erro every time i click the steam icon some one please help me

:cry please help me

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

it will help everyone to know what os you have (ie - xp, vista), and what version (xp sp2, etc). also, exactly what file you are trying to run (the exact file, and from where). i did a search on team.exe, but didn't come up with much. - sos

3. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  4. MasterDvs

MasterDvs Private E-2

it was actually steam.exe(main exception): unable to load library steam.dll

not team.exe steam.

my os is xp so if anyone can help me ive tryed everything a thousand times .. it still comes up with the same error!

5. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Did you try the steps at the Steam pages I linked to?

6. MasterDvs

MasterDvs Private E-2

yes i did i dont have a firewall on i downloaded the dll file but its not reading it

7. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Even if you just turn the Firewall off temporarily its process may still be running and interfering. However, have you also checked for various other programs that may interfere with Steam? https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289

Also, try one of the other Troubleshooter pages to see if that helps: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_cat.php?id=14

Finally, you could clear out and re-install the Steam components as stated at the bottom of: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5774-UXVB-5193

8. Soldier2580

Soldier2580 Private E-2

I've got the same problem... it started when i wanted to clean the hard disk a bit, deleting some .temp files etc. The most probable explenation is that this clean-up program may have deleted some essential files to startup steam.
    Now i googled for this dll file, found it and put it in the steam folder. Ok: new error: "Steam.exe(main exception): unable to load library steamUI.dll"... So when i googled for this file and put it in the steam folder too, i just keep getting the same error: unable to load library steamUI.dll

What i don't get is that when i delete EVERYTHING that has anything to do with steam, even steamapps and steam.exe, and i download the latest steam installer, when installed, Steam just won't start. Why? What is the difference between
    1. before my pc had ever touched Steam,
    2. and now, now every trace of steam being installed is gone..

Aaaargh going crazy here..

S2580

9. MasterDvs

MasterDvs Private E-2

u were right aparently when my firewall was off it was still working so i fixed it thank u!!

10. Soldier2580

Soldier2580 Private E-2

what did you do?

11. joeman169

joeman169 Private E-2

it IS your firewall.....
    dude i had the same problem myself....
    i tried everything a million times, but it turns out, there was some stupid exception for another pc on my 2wire modem that was taking my port data...
    so my suggestion is to block all other pcs or turn off their exceptions then try it.
    i was without steam for 6 months....
    and, through no fault of my own.... somehow for some reason, something i had there all along suddenly made it not work.
    any questions u can get me on
    aim - joeman169
    email (i may not respond, i get too much junk) - joeadcock169@hotmail.com

12. paing89

paing89 Private E-2

I also had this problem but i juz solved it... Actually.., the problem is about Firewall.. it could be possible ur window firewall or your antivirus firewall.. So if you think window firewall then check ur window firewall then allow the steam on it.. On the other hand., it would b antivirus firewall so go to antivirus firewall and turn it off or allow the program.. If you're using any free antivirus then i suggest juz uninstall it because it waste ur time i think...HOpe that u guys can slove it as well.. if anything about this problem then email me.. . see ya there...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
  13. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Removed your links, they are questionable from a first time poster. Your advice about free antivirus is also way off, there are excellent free antivirus programs, I have used AVG free for at least 8 years now.

As mentioned above, this page:
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2198-AGHC-7226
    should cover your problem. Rather then telling us you did a thousand things, letting us know what you did try is helpful in eliminating your problem.

14. ckgrick

ckgrick Private E-2

I just joined today to relate how I finally fixed this extremely irritating problem in my situation after many hours of fruitless attempts. I thought I owed it to the forum for the aid I've received as a lurker.

It was the firewall, but not the one I thought. Unbenownest to me before, besides the Windows firewall I also had one in the Westel 2400 DSL modem/router I use. The Windows firewall wasn't the issue. I needed to go into the modem/router configuration (http://192.168.1.1) and change the firewall setting from medium (default) to low. That's all it needed to load the library.dll; no adding all the ports, etc. required. Hope this helps some people.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds