HD Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fradleyp, May 18, 2008.

1. fradleyp

fradleyp Private E-2

I'm thinking of purchasing a HD monitor problem is my Geforce 8800 doesn't have a HDMI output, would i need to buy a new graphics with HDMI or is there another option

secondly if I wanted to sli 2 graphics cards do they have to be the exact same or can they just be any 2 sli cards

cheers

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You do not need to get a different card. You can probably use an adapter or a cable like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186026 It has a DVI male connector on one end (it plugs into the video card) and the other end is HDMI male (and that goes into the HD TV/monitor). Definitely the cheap-n-easy way to go. Just be sure that the cable you get will work on both the display and the PC; in other words, double check the display and PC and make a note of if the cable would need to be male/male or male/female or female/male or female/female.
    Things have 'relaxed' a bit in the SLI universe. It used to be that SLI required to of the exact same card: same make, same model, same everything. For best results, this is still pretty much true, but you can use a different make as long as the chipset on both video cards is the same. If you don't (or can't) get another card exactly like your current one, then I'd strongly recommend that you do some serious research before you run out and get a 2nd card for your SLI. Contact the manufacturer of your current card and of the 2nd card that you are looking at; ask them all the good questions and provide each company with the other company's make and model of card, and get their individual stamps of approval, essentially guaranteeing that the cards will work in happy unison, pumping out kick-a** video to your new HD display!

Oh yeah- make sure your motherboard is SLI capable! Believe it or not, but a dude I know bought all his parts for a new build from an online e-tailer and purchased 2 cards for SLI. Great. Except the e-tailer didn't tell him (and he was all excited and didn't do his "boring" research) that the motherboard he chose did not support SLI!!! But on the plus side, a different dude I know picked up a brand new 9600GT for $100 ;)

3. fradleyp

fradleyp Private E-2

great help there thank you very much, having trouble trying to to work out which full HD monitor is the best for around £300-£400

any help??

4. fradleyp

fradleyp Private E-2

5. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

those large 30 inchers that apple and dell make are higher resolution than HD, why not just get one of those?

6. fradleyp

fradleyp Private E-2

aye just been reading up alot the 30inch seem very expensive, my reasons for thinking hard about the one I linked is the HDMI just incase I ever cave into the next gen xonsole lol and its only £300

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds