Weird laptop problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by G_Loc, May 22, 2008.

1. G_Loc

G_Loc Private E-2

I've got a Sony Vaio laptop (VGN-FS630) that I'm working on and the keyboard doesn't seem to work 99% of the time when I boot it up. I can't get into the BIOS screen or hit a key to boot off a CD!

The original problem I was having with it was an LSASS.exe error stating
    "Not enough virtual memory or paging file quota is available to complete the specified operation" when Windows XP would load. The machine would then reboot. It sometimes does that or gives me a blue screen. I was able to get the computer in safe mode a few times and installed all the latest MS patches, including SP3, to no avail.

Does this machine seem to have a more complicated hardware problem because of the keyboard issue?

EDIT: BTW, it does this with a USB keyboard as well

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

If it is still under Warranty, get in contact to where you purchased it from, IMO. Bazza

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. G_Loc

G_Loc Private E-2

Well look at that... I figured since it would do the same thing with a USB keyboard that it was a hardware issue, but I took it apart anyways and reseated the cable. Keyboard works all the time now! Thanks!

Now I need to do a system restore but I don't have the boot CD that initializes the process. Great.

ETA: Nevermind... I just banged away at the function keys and the Sony recovery utility came right up!

5. G_Loc

G_Loc Private E-2

Arg, the keyboard just stops working randomly! Even in the BIOS... It starts off working then all of a sudden it just stops working...

USB keyboard does not work. Sounds like a more intense hardware problem?

6. G_Loc

G_Loc Private E-2

Great, I got the keyboard to boot and now when I enter the recovery program, I get a blue screen stating "The video driver failed to initialize." Awesome. Can't recover it. I'm going to take it out back and shoot it.

ETA: Recovered it fine, but now when Windows boots I get an error regarding lsass.exe - "The requested operation was unsuccessful." An lsass.exe error was the reason I recovered the damn thing! Don't think its Sasser as I ran all kinds of scans on it before I decided to try a recovery and nothing was found

7. charet20

charet20 Private E-2

I am having the same problem as well. I turn on my Sony Vaio. and the same message comes up. " the requested action was unsuccessful". Then it shuts down. When it turns on, it is like it gets all the way to the login screen and shuts down. Anyone help me out.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

charet20, welcome. Start here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22 and click the new thread button at the top left.
    It's not a good idea to post your problem in someone else's thread. It is also not a good idea to dredge up an old thread unless you've found a solution to the problem.

When you post, mention exactly what model Vaio you have. What operating system you are running. When the problem started. What you have tried to fix it (like trying safe mode, last known good configuration, etc.).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds