Need help in installing audio drivers!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by talsilo, May 22, 2008.

1. talsilo

talsilo Private E-2

Yes, I went through this excellent thread...

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=146855

before asking for help here!

I have a new m/b Asus P5KPL-VM and did a fresh install of XP (SP 3).
    After successfully installing XP, I tried to install the m/b drivers, but all except the audio drivers (Realtek) got installed. When I install it, it doesn't mention any problems, but simply doesn't get installed. Also, the device manager shows an unknown PCI device under 'Others'. I tried to follow the steps given in the above thread, but...
    1. there is no 'high definition audio device under Sound, video & game controllers'
    2. There are no sound devices listed under 'Legacy Audio Drivers'.
    3. Also there is no MS UAA under 'System Devices'

The onboard sound is enabled in BIOS.

I am not sure if it is a driver issue, as the system doesn't even sees a 'multimedia interface', but just recognises it as some 'PCI device'. Is this a BIOS issue? Or some connection on the m/b i missed to make?

SECOND SIMILAR PROBLEM
    I am selling my older PC to my friend. So had to do a fresh install on that too, and I have exactly the same problem of installing audio drivers there. The only difference is that m/b is Asus P5Rd1-VM, and onboard sound is SoundMax. Here the only difference is that SoundMax very vocally refuses to install giving a comment something like 'The audio drivers are not compatible with your current hardware'.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Driver installs on a fresh OS, should go chipset, audio, then the others.
    Check that Windows Audio Service is started.
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find the Windows Audio service.
    Right click on it and choose Properties.
    Make sure it is set to Automatic and Start is checked.

It's probably not a BIOS issue, if it is showing the the Unknown PCI device. (your audio)
    But, it wouldn't hurt to look. On ASUS boards, I think the audio is listed under the Integrated Periphial Menu. It may be called Azailia. Take a look and enable it, if it isn't already.

Post back what you found out.

3. talsilo

talsilo Private E-2

thx musksnipe!

yes, the order of installation was as recommended.

yes, Automatic and Start is checked under Windows Audio

Azalia is enabled in BIOS. When I disable it, the unknown PCI device disappears, which means the problem being Windows not able to recognise the PCI device as a multimedia hardware.

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Uninstall the unknown PCI Device.
    In Add/Remove Programs, look for the Realtek Audio and the KB888111 update and uninstall them.
    If you install, remove, and then re-install this update, the update is no longer listed in Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
    Therefore, you cannot remove this update from your computer.
    To work around this problem, follow these steps.

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP2\KB888111 (may be in SP3)
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    4. Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.

Run CCleaner, both the Cleaner and Registry.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...ish_d4191.html
    Reboot, but don't let Windows install the driver.

Here is the MS UAA. Install it first.
    Microsoft-UAA-Bus-Driver-for-High-Definition-Audio
    Here is your audio driver.
    Realtek HD Audio Driver v5.10.0.5506 for Windows 32bit XP& 64bit XP.

5. talsilo

talsilo Private E-2

thx musksnipes once again.

In Add/Remove Programs, there is no 'KB888111 update'

In the registry, there is no 'updates' after HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ so that key is not there.

In the meantime, I did some experiments on my older machine. Firstly, I removed the SATA HDD and put back the PATA HDD on which there was a properly installed Windows and audio drivers. Surprisingly, Windows did not load and gave the following message...

'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup CD ROM.

The only difference in the past and now is that i have updated the BIOS. Would that make a difference?

The second experiment i did on the old machine was to reinstall windows. Instead of the pirated XP-SP3, load with the original XP (with not even SP1). I have loaded this windows, loaded the drivers too, but still the problem of audio drivers not installing with an PCI device is still there.

Hope this gives more food for thought.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds