Pc Video Card To Tv

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, May 22, 2008.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

From what I understand when you want to hookup a pc video card to a tv you just have to:

1. Shutdown your pc

2. Unplug your computer monitor from the pc video card

3. Attach a vga cable from your pc video card to your tv

4. Turn on your pc and than your tv

5. Your video card should automatically show your desktop on your pc

Is this correct? I have a vga video card and also a lcd tv with pc vga input...

If there is anything I'm mentioning that is wrong please tell me or any precautions I should take.

Thank You

2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

The method you describe works for a laptop.
    I can think of no reason it wouldn't work for a desktop as well, but I've never tried it.
    I've done it countless times to share a presentation with a large group.

Be aware that some things will not show on the TV.
    For example, MS Media Player playing a video will show the Media Player window, but not the video.
    Perhaps this has been fixed in Vista, but it does not work with XP

3. superstar

That sucks! That was one of the main reasons why I wanted to use it!!! So I can watch home videos!!! Maybe another media player would work? :-D

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Perhaps.
    Again, I haven't tried this using another player.
    Most of the times I've seen this done was using presentation software like Powerpoint.
    That does work.

5. superstar

Thanks for the help! I'm on the tv using my pc right now and it works fine. & hey I don't know why you cannot view movies on your pc hooked up to your 37" tv because I can. I can actually view everything. I tried watching everything with windows media player and everything works fine. Maybe you didn't buy the right cable? I spent quite a dime on mine to get the best visuals.

Or maybe you need to install some codecs?

Thanks

P.s.
    Now to get a wireless mouse and keyboard...

6. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

I apologize for the misinformaton.
    What I meant to say was that Web-based video wouldn't work through the video card. (Watching a movie file in your browser- at least IE, never tried it with FF).
    When I was first developing a web site for my church, I set up a demonstration for the church advisory board, to show them the features of their new site.
    I needed to show it on a screen that could be seen by a room full of people so I hooked a laptop to a TV. Unfortunately the movie files that play quite well on the laptop, gave an empty window on the TV.
    Even with this snafu, the board embraced the web concept and we now have a way for our shut-ins and absent members to stay in touch with our church.
    Once again, I apologize for the misinformation.

7. superstar

No need to apologize... By the way all the videos I watch over websites like youtube play as they should. I am using Firefox, as I stopped using IE 3 years ago. I was actually thinking that my pc would look bad over my 37" LG HDTV screen. But boy was I wrong. Everything looks even better than my 17" crt pc monitor. The colors are richer, the films are much more enjoyable, and actually have better detail, etc. I definitely recommend everyone to use their LCD HDTV's as monitors from time to time. Plus there's that wow factor. I purchased my 6 foot gold plated 15 pin vga cable with ferrite cords [to connect my pc to tv] at www.monoprice.com for $6, and paid about $3 for shipping. It sure beats paying $40+ at best buy.

I've disconnected my pc from my tv for now because I'll only be using it when I want to watch films and such since the only dvd player I have is in my pc tower. I'm thinking of using it as a regular monitor but the problem is I'm scared of BURN IN happening on my LCD screen. I mean from what I heard you cannot just leave your screen on the same image for too long with LCD HDTV's [for example a still image like a desktop]. That's why I want to find out much more information on this before I make a major move and use my tv for using my pc 100% of the time. The thing that I don't understand is that they sell flatscreen 19" [and bigger] LCD computer monitors, and those don't get burn in from what I know. So I don't understand how a tv made of the same parts [lcd] can get burn in.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds