Anyone knows a good disaster recovery tool????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jose9545, May 23, 2008.

1. jose9545

jose9545 Private E-2

Hi people, I have a computer that was working very well, but lately when I was working on a important project, there was a power fluctuation for a couple of times (I thought that was normal) but after the last power fluctuation my computer refused to boot up. There seems to be a failure of some kind…..but I need to get the projects back that are still in that disk.

I would be thankful if you could suggest any good tools to get the files and documents back.

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you mean like completely dead as in no power at all, then remove the hd put it into an external enclosure, connect it by USB to a working computer and see if you can see any of your files. If so, copy them either to the good computer, if there is room or to an external HD.
    If there isn't enough room on the working computer, maybe you can copy some of the files, burn them to a CD then remove them after checking the CD that you have the files. Just keep doing this with groups of files until you have recovered everything.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Current backup. :-D but I know this is no laughing matter. Once you get your PC going again:-

SOFTWARE solution.

You can use something from http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads3.html or a commercial backup program like Acronis True Backup. I use it to back up very regularly. Just set it to do a FULL backup to an external hard drive, or incremental backup after you finish a NET session and let it then do its' thing. I recommend VALIDATING your backup. It is no use have a corrupted backup.

HARDWARE solution.

For prevention of hardware problems, I recommend a UPS. Check out:
    Uninterruptible power supply at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptable_power_supply

Wish you luck, bazza

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I'd try plodr's method first. Disaster recovery firms charge lots for their time and effort, as they are entitled to. Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds