Help with HP 5440 Printer Toolbox

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sillyboy, May 24, 2008.

1. sillyboy

sillyboy Private E-2

Up until a week ago I had a HP Toolbox for my 5440 printer. I have uninstalled the printer and reinstalled the printer with the OEM CD that came with it. No Toolbox! I downloaded the correct drivers from HP's site and installed and uninstalled them twice. No Toolbox! When I click on Printing Preferences>Services>Service this device, I get the message: 'The Application could not be started. Try reinstalling this printer driver.'
    Does anyone have a solution to this problem?? I am using Windows XP/SP2.
    Thanks In advance

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Can you google a picture of the toolbox?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. sillyboy

sillyboy Private E-2

I am not quite sure what you mean "google a picture of the toolbox". The toolbox is a program within the drivers that let you, align the print heads, check ink level, clean the print heads, etc.

5. sillyboy

sillyboy Private E-2

I have already downloaded the driver you suggested above. Everything shown on that page comes up on my monitor, as a good install. The toolbox still will not show when clicked on.

Thanks

6. dunlapes

dunlapes Private E-2

I have the exact same situation in the same circumstances except that I have been unable to determine why my HP Deskjet 5440 "Device Services" button will not operate for even longer than you. Have you received any answers yet? Thanks.

7. sillyboy

sillyboy Private E-2

No, not yet.

I have already taken the HPDJ 5440 offline and replaced it with a Samsung CLP 300. After rebate, it will have cost me $100.00. A lot of ink jets are more than this. I'm tired of ink jet printers, and the tiny amount of ink that is in the cartridge(5ml of black ink in the 5440). My old DJ had 43ml in the black cartridge. I have a Samsung ml 2010 that has run great now for over 2 years.

I'm sorry this didn't help you. Hope you find an answer. I know I did, and it came from Staples.

8. dunlapes

dunlapes Private E-2

Thanks for your reply though; I'll be able to muddle through I'm sure w/o the tools.
    Re: the tiny amount of ink in the 5440: I've become quite good at using hypodermics and have found good on-line ink (and cartridge) sources. Some people, I'm sure, are more adverse to colored fingers than I--and are probably better with their technique too, but I have more or less beaten the $$ problem by refilling myself. By the way, since you mentioned having an old HP DJ, I'll mention something you might find amusing in passing: it wasn't the hosing-off I used to give <my> old HP DJ (in the driveway) that did it in. It was a mechanical failure!
    Thanks again, good luck with your Samsung CLP 300.

Is the CLP300 an improvement on the ml2010?

9. sillyboy

sillyboy Private E-2

I didn't buy the CLP 300 to replace the ML2010. I strictly bought it to print color. I will continue to use the ML 2010 for text docs, etc. I print out color maybe 2 times a month.

This is the reason I needed the 5440. But, by using it infrequently I believe the print head clogged, causing me to look for TOOLS. BTW, I called HP hoping for a fix but they wanted me to PAY! Just like most other places, HP lost money by doing that. If they would have helped me fix my problem with a printer that was only 18 months old, I would have continued BUYING ink cartridges from them. I don't think (could not find it) they have a HP forum. Now that's sad...

Now Samsung gets my money for a printer and color toner in the future.

Take Care.

'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing'
    -Edmund Burke-

10. dunlapes

dunlapes Private E-2

In case it's still of interest to you (and others?) I have found a way to get to the disappeared HP 5440 Printer Toolbox. It is follows:

Call up the HP Solution Center which is located in normal installation at "C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\". as "hpdirect.exe". Use "Settings->Print Settings->Printer /toolbox". In the HP Deskjet 5400 Series toolbox you will, under the 'Device Services' tab, have access to:
    * Align the Print Cartridges
    * Clean the Print Cartridge(s)
    * Print a Diagnostic Page
    * Calibrate Color
    * Print Quality Calibration
    * Print a test page

When I couple this with refilling my own cartridges from bulk from a reputable on-line ink supplier to cure the low-volume-high-price problem and an occasional hosing-out (+ drying) of the printer, my HP 5440 Deskjet Printer seems to be doing the job fairly well.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds