USB Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kahne1023, May 25, 2008.

1. kahne1023

kahne1023 Private E-2

Im having a hard time with my external hard drive. It is a simpletech one that has 320 gb's.

When i got it, i plugged it into my computer and backed up stuff, etc without a problem. It worked great. Recently i decided to plug it into my laptop to back up the stuff on there. I had tried to back stuff up but it didnt work, no worries.

Now my problem occured. When i plugged it back into my computer, it will not even recognize its existence. What i mean by that is i dont get the beep to confirm its been plugged in, and i cannot find it through "device manager" or even when i right click on the my computer icon and go through the "manage" section. Nothing shows up anywhere on my computer.

Might anyone know how i can get this to show up? All of the usb ports are "working properly" and i have even tried plugging my mouse and printer into all of them, all of which still work. Help please because i cant listen to any music without it!!!

Thanks
    Philip

2. kahne1023

kahne1023 Private E-2

Im sorry i forgot to mention my computer. Its a p4m80-m4 motherboard and i run windows xp sp2. The hard drive is a SimpleTech External Hard Drive (no other information on box)

3. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

have you tried it on another comp to make sure it is still working properly? have you tried a different usb cable? does the power cable seem fine? also, you didn't happen to unplug the drive while it was reading or writing data to the drive? - g/, sos

4. kahne1023

kahne1023 Private E-2

Yeah, I tried it in a few other computers. Do you really think that a bad cable could be the culprit? I had e-mailed the company and they told me that it sounds like the device. If this is the case, might anybody know how i can get my information (papers, music, pics, etc) off of it? Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds