Bulding my own top end computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skeets, May 25, 2008.

1. skeets

skeets Private E-2

Well, here i go again. Only 2 years after building my first pc im having to upgrade again. My first attempt was mid range so this time ive decided to go all out. Ive searched high and low to come up with the best spec out there at the moment, but its as if the more i search the less i have an idea of what to go for.
    Thats where i need your assistance ;)

Please can you give me what you think would be the best build to go for, taking into account that the machine will be used mainly for gaming.
    £1500-2000 gb pounds is the most im wanting to spend, but i want this machine to be ***t hot so if your build comes to a bit more please still post. I will be keeping my current monitor so no need to include that and will be running vista.

I look forward to your replies,

thanks in advance!

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

2000 quids can buy you a s*it hot gaming rig. First thing, do you want SLI or Crossfire or a single card?

Any specific games/programs do you run? Crysis? Age of Conan?

What is the target monitor resolution?

Is it going to be overclocked?

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Here's some general ideas:
    Quad Core CPU - Intel
    3gb DDR2 or DDR3 RAM - Dual Channel 1066mhz or faster (x64 OS will allow for much more RAM)
    SLI Video Cards - 2 x 8800 GT or GTS or GTX (NVidia) -OR- 2 x 9600GT (NVidia)
    SATA DVDRW (or two)
    SATA2 Hard drives - 2 x 150gb WD Raptors @ 10,000rpm
    800w minimum PSU - at least quad rails with at least 20a/+12v rail, or go with one huge rail of 60a or more.
    A floppy drive (they do come in handy for flashing BIOS and a few other low level tasks)
    Be sure to get a case with plenty of fan options, or use liquid cooling.

(personally, I'm not a fan of Asus motherboards. The more research I do on any random model seems to pop up more people with more problems. Maybe GigaByte, XFX, eVGA, MSI)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds