Ram question ( Occupying all 4 slots )

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lithic87, May 25, 2008.

1. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

Anyone who is good with computers i have a puzzeling question.

Right now in my comp im running 4 slots of pc3200 DIMM DDRsdram

I heard that computers esepcially amd chipsets dont like having 4 slots filled and bottleneck by causing all 4 slots to run at 333mhz rather then the desired 400 t hat it should run.

so ATM i have 4 slots filled 2x 512 2 x 256 The timing on these arent good at all so i have decided to replace this cheap ram.

I just picked up 2 x 512 sticks of Super * Talent cl2 low timed memory making that 1 gb

I want to remove the 2 x 256 from dIMM 2 channels and move the dimm 1 512's to dimm 2 and plug in the 2 new CL2 supertalent in the first 2 slots

so it would look something like

Supertalent 1 - 2 Cheap shitty 512 ram 3 - 4

all 512's making it 2 g igs.

WOULD I be better off using 1 gig of just FAST RAM in 1 and 2 or 2 gigs of 2 fast 2 shitty and causing the mobo to run all 4 at 333mhz.

SOMEONE please help lol
    Anyone who is good with computers i have a puzzeling question.

Right now in my comp im running 4 slots of pc3200 DIMM DDRsdram

I heard that computers esepcially amd chipsets dont like having 4 slots filled and bottleneck by causing all 4 slots to run at 333mhz rather then the desired 400 t hat it should run.

so ATM i have 4 slots filled 2x 512 2 x 256 The timing on these arent good at all so i have decided to replace this cheap ram.

I just picked up 2 x 512 sticks of Super * Talent cl2 low timed memory making that 1 gb

I want to remove the 2 x 256 from dIMM 2 channels and move the dimm 1 512's to dimm 2 and plug in the 2 new CL2 supertalent in the first 2 slots

so it would look something like

Supertalent 1 - 2 Cheap shitty 512 ram 3 - 4

all 512's making it 2 g igs.

WOULD I be better off using 1 gig of just FAST RAM in 1 and 2 or 2 gigs of 2 fast 2 shitty and causing the mobo to run all 4 at 333mhz.

SOMEONE please help lol

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

More RAM always beats faster RAM. If you can get all four sticks to run together at 333MHz, your computer will run faster than with only two of them at 400MHz. But yes, chipsets can be very picky. What is the exact brand and model name of the motherboard you are putting the memory in?

3. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

Actually i just tried putting the 2 New ones in the blue slots and 2 old 512s in the black slots computer would not start up, i took out the 2 old 512s keeping just the 2 new ones in the blue and computer worked. But before i bought these new ones i had 2x 256 and 2 x 512 and computer booted, so im curious as to wat is happening. any ideas?

its the Emachine t6212 computer. nto sure wat mobo it has sorry :/.

i have custom gfx card if it matters 6600 gt XFX 500 mhz speed.

4. Mimsy

If the new ones work alone, and the old ones work alone, there is some kind of compatibility problem between the two, and it may be speed-related. If I understood your first post right, two of the 512 ones are 333MHz and two of them are 400MHz. If you can exchange the new ones, and match the speed of the old ones, so all four are the same speed, that is very likely to solve your problem.

Or if you feel brave, you can try updating the BIOS, and see if that helps. I would really not recommend that unless nothing else helps though. Really not.

5. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

nono they are all 400 mhz, i thoght using all 4 slots would make them run at 333hz, but wat im say ing is both are pc3200 DDR ram 400 hz and the comp wont turn on with all 4 in but work with 4 of the old ones or just 2 of the old ones or 2 new ones but not 2 new ones and 2 old ones

6. Mimsy

Ah, gotcha. My mistake. :)

Do the old 512 sticks have components on both sides? (Components are the black thingies on the memory that look like little fridge magnets.) Do the new ones have components on both sides as well, or only on one side?

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The issue where a chipset would down-clock the RAM when all the slots were full really only applies to older motherboards that were made at about the same time that DDR400 was the newest fastest bestest memory out there. I had an older socket 754 MSI motherboard with 3 memory slots that did this. As mentioned, more RAM beats faster RAM, unless you have more fast RAM ;) For dual channel to work correctly, you need to have the same RAM in channel A slots 1 & 2, and in channel B, slots 1 & 2. I currently run 3gb of DDR2 in a dual channel setup: channel A has 2 x 1gb, and channel B has 2 x 512mb.

(BTW- I disagree with the statement that SuperTalent is "cheap sh**ty" memory. It has a lifetime warranty, the price is right, and depending on the type of RAM it is, it can be very flexible with timings and overclocking. True, the name "SuperTalent" really sucks, it's probably a bad translation from Chinese where the original Chinese words were "most honorable and fast, loyal until death, exceptional performance in all platforms". I have used SuperTalent memory off and on for years and have had very, very few problems. Any memory company will make the occasional bad memory stick, it happens. It's how they take of the problem that counts. A friend had a stick of SuperTalent memory fail about a year ago after it was in his PC for almost 2 years. He contacted ST, they provided an RMA number, and he had new RAM in under 10 days. I bought a 2gb kit of ST RAM back when I still ran DDR400; one stick was good, one stick was bad. After being issued an RMA number and shipping the bad stick to ST, I had a new one in 5 days. Works for me :) )

8. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

My wife's Compaq will not run on CL2.5 and from what I have read it will only run on CL3 memory at exactly 2.6 volts. The emachine may as well be fussy about what memory it will accept.

9. Mimsy

And, oddly enough, to several DDR2 ASUS and EVGA boards lately. Technology evolves, right...? rolleyes

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds