Problems installing Win XP on Sony Vaio notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wutzerbutt, May 26, 2008.

1. Wutzerbutt

Wutzerbutt Private E-2

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FE770G. Originally, the time was off, indicating a cmos issue but then the computer would not boot at all. It displays the Vaio logo and then does nothing.
    It passed 4 rounds of memtest and passed two hard drive diag tests. I formatted the drive and placed it back in the laptop so that I could do a fresh install of Windows XP Media Center. It starts booting from the CD and then hangs up when it reaches "Setup is loading Windows" It totally freezes there and the CDROM stops spinning like it's just finished. It stays in this part of setup indefinitely.
    If anyone has any idea how to address this problem, it would be greatly appreciated!
    Oh I also tried replacing the RAM as well as trying a different drive. Nothing works.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I believe you have a problem with the motherboard drive controller, or the I/O controller. When setup starts the "Windows is loading setup" phase, it begins to look for devices to install to, ie. your hard drive. And since you have tried different drives, I'm inclined to say that the drive controller has gone south, or the I/O controller has gone out. Neither of these is something the average home user can fix unless they have intimate knowledge of motherboard/PC electronics and the facilities to troubleshoot and replace micromount/surface mount ICs. In other words, this is a job for a professional. Most places will tell you that a new motherboard is needed, but there are a few outfits out there that can perform board level repair, saving you hundreds of dollars.

3. Wutzerbutt

Wutzerbutt Private E-2

I was afraid that was the case. Any ideas where we might get some info on how to repair that drive controller? We do have some tools such as a desoldering station and my husband has done some motherboard work like jack repair and cap replacements, etc.
    I think he is capable with the right resources. Any suggestions on where to find info regarding that particular repair or mb specs?
    Is there a connection between the drive controller problem and the time and date being off?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds