Black screen whoa's, but sometimes works without battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pozzydrive, May 27, 2008.

1. Pozzydrive

Pozzydrive Corporal

Hi all

I have an old Toshiba Satellite 1110 laptop running windows XP that has a screen problem, I want to give my neice the laptop but need to fix this problem first, so any help would be appreciated, I have read a lot of posts on the internet about this, but the matter does not seem to be resolved in any one of them, if I boot the laptop up with battery attached as soon as I touch the control pad the screen goes black, if out of sunlight, you can just make out the login screen, and the sound works fine, now if I take out the battery and just use mains power it sometimes works, boots up fine and display is good, however the odd time it goes black again, only this time without having touched the control pad, very strange, anyway, someone had mentioned inverter, backlight and video drivers, well can someone tell me what the inverter looks like as I have not got a clue, surely the backlight is Ok, as it sometimes comes on and I don't know what video card it installed so would not know what drivers I need and what else should I be looking for, I've already looked at the power management and that looks fine, its as if the laptop goes into hibernation, but that particular box is not ticked, please help.

2. Pozzydrive

Pozzydrive Corporal

Ok I've just found that the little button that causes the laptop to either close down or go into standby when the lid is closed, if I press it a few times the screen comes back on, so if that is the case, does anyone know what its attached to and what could be causing the problem I described in the first post.

3. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

If the "lid button" is sticking or simply worn out, it would manifest itself in ways similar to what you are describing.
    I think this is definitely a hardware related issue and therefore there is probably no software fix (ie: I doubt changing video drivers or changing power settings is going to help).
    A good laptop repair person is probably your best bet.

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

I just had a thought that might enable you to get around this problem.
    In Power Options, under the "Advanced" tab

[​IMG]

This should bypass the faulty switch.

5. Pozzydrive

Pozzydrive Corporal

Hi Joelsz

Just to thank you for that, I tried that to no avail, will just have to give it to a repair centre and have it fixed, thanks once again.

Pozzy

6. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Sorry.
    It was a long shot, I admit.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds