Changing IP address

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 152217, May 27, 2008.

1. 152217

152217 Private E-2

I have Bellsouth DSL at home, and was wondering if this will actually work:

Logging into the router's admin console and releasing the IP address, then shutting off the router and modem and leaving them off all night.

This is what I found when I searched Google, but I don't want to do that and have it mess something up.

2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

The method you are refering to can work, but it is by no means certain to change your internet IP.
    Every ISP has a block of IP addresses that it can assign to individual subscribers.
    If you log off from your ISP for an extended period of time, the IP that was assigned to you will return to the ISP's pool of available numbers.
    When you reconnect to your ISP you will be assigned an IP from this unused pool and therefore you might get a new IP or you might get the same one again.

Why do you want to change your IP?

3. Still Learning

Still Learning Private First Class

If you have a dynamic address then unplug your modem for like 20 mins then plug it back in to change the ip, or if your just trying to change the feault router IP address that can be done through admin control panel in the router set up, after you save the new ip say for example yours is 192.168.1.1 by fault then you can change the last two sets of numbers to like 192.168.25.10
    or whatever but i beleive the first two sets of numbers can not be changed and the highest number you can use in any 4 fields is 255

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds