SATA HDD problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Heavenly, May 27, 2008.

1. Heavenly

Heavenly Private E-2

hey guys i got a 500Gb sata HDD,....plug it in properly and all that like abd when i checked it in my computer it wasnt there so i checked it in the bios/setup menu,.....i made sure it was booting up and so on and it appeared in the boot menu is well,...im kinda lost any tips???

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Is the 500gb SATA the boot drive? If not (like it's drive E: or G: or something) and if it is brand new, it needs to be partitioned and formatted. Right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management. In the right hand pane, down towards the bottom, you'll see the drives hooked up to the PC listed in bold print. Scroll thru the list until you see the new 500gb drive and right click on the bold print where it says Disk 1: and make sure that it shows the correct size underneath the Disk 1: (if it's not the right drive, scroll through the list until you see the correct drive listed), in the menu that comes up, click Initialize. Then follow the on screen prompts to partition and format the drive. :) Easy, no?

[dlb]

(if the drive is the boot drive, and doesn't show up in My Computer, there's something else going on, so let us know if the above works)

:major

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

What is the set-up of your HDD? Is this a second HDD or a new formatted and OS installed HDD? Give as an idea here and might be able to help also what is your MOBO so we can have an idea of what sort of BIOS you have.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds