Possible to replace broken heatsing mountin pin?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abekl, May 27, 2008.

1. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Hi,

I bought an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro fan/heatink and managed to break one of the plastic legs or sleeves, or whatever they're called that surround the black plastic push pin that you press to mount the heatsink to the MB.

Here is the heatsink:
    http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=79

I've been looking for almost a day for a place that sells replacement mounting pins, and no luck so far. Arctic Cooling has no real technical support, and I can't RMA the item because it was me who broke it.

Can anyone give me a lead on where to get a replacement pin assembly? I'd like to try to fix it because it's a $28 heatsink, I'd hate to just throw it away.

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

3. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

I broke one in the Scythe cooler. I paid $5 for a set of 4 new ones & shipping. Maybe you can try Scythe. Or you can ask a local computer store for a standard intel socket 775 cpu cooler push-pin. Probably costs a $1. If not, ask for a used one & take one of them out.

4. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Yes. They won't deal with end users.

5. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

I'll give it a try.

6. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds