Mouse dosn't work and soundcard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Louisd11, May 27, 2008.

1. Louisd11

Louisd11 Private First Class

For some reason my USB mouse doesn't work (tried multiple USB mice). Also IDK if it's related but the sound card doesn't work. SO far I have tried:

• Boot in safe mode still doesn't work
      Go to hardware and scan for hardware changes mouse isn't listed
      msconfig and do diagnostic's
      take out BIOS battery for 30 minutes
    SO what else could I try?

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

more info is needed. what is your os (ie - xp, vista). what happened prior to these problems (ie - malware, installed new programs, power surge, etc). is this a desktop or laptop, etc.

does your usb mouse work elsewhere (another comp)? - sos

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Don't know if I can help with the USB mouse but I probably can with the sound.
    Do you have an install disc for the mouse. It's possible the driver took a dump on you.
    If you don't have a disc, post the manufacturer and the model number of the mouse and I might be able to find a driver for it.

Check: Device Manager for bad drivers.
    For XP: Go to Start>Control Panel> System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager, then click the plus sign in front of Sound, Video, Game Controllers.
    For Vista: Go to Start>Control Panel>Device Manager
    In Device Manager, if there is a ? in front of a device, that means no driver is installed.
    A ! means driver installation attempted but with problems.

For audio problems, hese are the steps I usually follow to get these things out of the way as problems.
    Check: Speakers connected?
    Check: Master Volume control. (not muted)
    Check that Windows Audio Service is started.
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find the Windows Audio service.
    Right click on it and choose Properties.
    Make sure it is set to Automatic and Start is checked.

Check: Device Manager for bad drivers.
    For XP: Go to Start>Control Panel> System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager, then click the plus sign in front of Sound, Video, Game Controllers.
    For Vista: Go to Start>Control Panel>Device Manager
    In Device Manager, if there is a ? in front of your audio device, that means no audio driver is installed.
    A ! means driver installation attempted but with problems.

Check: Why is the driver missing? Re-installed OS? Malware? Corrupt file? Deletion?
    Check: Are you getting error messages? What is the message?
    Check: Your audio mixer software (if installed) for a setting that mutes back panel audio if you have plugged headphones into a front panel audio solution. Uncheck: this setting to allow audio to both the back and front.
    Check: BIOS to insure on-board sound is enabled.
    As the PC starts, press one of these keys,
    (here is a list by manufacturer)http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
    Or the right key will be posted on the very first screen.
    Tap it until you enter set-up, then look for your audio (it should be in Advanced or in Integrated Peripherals)
    Make sure sound is set correctly, when finished. For Onboard Sound (Enabled) For an add-on Sound Card (Disabled)

Everest
    Post a make and model # if your PC is manufactured (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.) or your motherboard ID, if it is a build. Or even better:
    Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. Upload the report as an attachment
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    When Everest is done scanning, click "Report" at the top of the Everest window, click next to get to "Report Profile", select "Hardware related pages", click next, select "Plain Text", click "Finish". Then when it is done processing, click "Save To File". Save it where you want to. (I would use Desktop.)
    Click "Go Advanced" in the MG reply box, scroll down a little way until you see "Manage Attachments", click it, browse to your file, click "Upload", and close the window. Then submit the post. You may have to also type something in the reply box, like, "Here's my report.", so that it will submit.

4. Louisd11

Ahhh srry forgot the essentials, well the soundcard went first and it wasn't displayed in the hardware/device manager. Os is Windows XP media center edition. And the mouse does work on other comps no problem, and you never had to install drivers for the mouse, and the sound is an onboard audio device intergrated into the mobo. And its a desktop.

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Post a make and model # if your PC is manufactured (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.) or your motherboard ID, if it is a build. Or even better:
    Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. Upload the report as an attachment
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    When Everest is done scanning, click "Report" at the top of the Everest window, click next to get to "Report Profile", select "Hardware related pages", click next, select "Plain Text", click "Finish". Then when it is done processing, click "Save To File". Save it where you want to. (I would use Desktop.)
    Click "Go Advanced" in the MG reply box, scroll down a little way until you see "Manage Attachments", click it, browse to your file, click "Upload", and close the window. Then submit the post. You may have to also type something in the reply box, like, "Here's my report.", so that it will submit.

6. Louisd11

Well I was trying to give you guys a hand and use everest but I can't use internet explorer without a mouse, and I tried putting it on my flash drive, but that doesn't work. So I guess it's not just my mouse it's anything USB won't work. But I know it's an HP M1264n

7. Louisd11

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It looks like maybe none of your USB ports are working.
    Have a look in device manager and scroll to the bottom where USB is listed. Expand and post what you see.

This may sound weird but for some folks this worked so it is worth trying. Unplug the computer from the wall for 1/2 to 1 hour. Then plug it in and see if you have your USB ports back.

For the sound problem
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...154&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=471588&lang=en
    go thru the step by step from HP for your computer and speakers.

For the USB ports problem
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph05956&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=471588
    and scroll down to USB device not detected by the PC and go through those troubleshooting steps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds