Strange Problem With Ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lithic87, May 28, 2008.

1. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

Hi there , i am running a emachines t6212, I recenetly took out my ram to u pgrade to some new ram. I have 2 sticks of super talent in the blue pair of slots for dual chan each stick is pc3200 400mhz, My computer supports pc3200 400mhz.

I plug both sticks in.
    Using CPU-Z i check the Memory tab
    DRAM Freq : Is coming up at 99.5 mhz
    FSB:DRAM is coming in at : cpu/20
    Clicking the SPD tab it reads.

Timing Tables

Stick 1 Stick 2
    Frequency 166 mhz 200 mhz
    CAS# Lat 2.5 3
    RAS# to CAS# 3 3
    RAS # Precharge 3 3
    tRAS 7 8
    Voltage 2.5 2.5

And Max Bandwidth for both are reading 200mhz.

These Sticks are 400 mhz , 512 Each. And they are the ONLY sticks in the comp and their paried in the BLUE slots, i have 2 blue 2 black for dual.

I cant understand y its running 99.5 mhz under the memory tab and one is 133 and one is 200 under the SPD tab.

Can someone please help me out and explain ( i have tried this as well with other sticks same problem )

2. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

N o one as Any idea by the way the space between the numbers is the differnt sticks, listed above. MEaing 2.5 - 3 i shoulda dashed but idk. :major

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

It's because CPU-Z is unreliable when it comes to memory speeds. :) Check the BIOS, and look up what it says there about what speed the memory is running.

4. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

I have went into my bios , went to DRAM Configuration TIMING MODE : AUTO will not let me take it off auto.

I checked the Timings, it allos 200mhz and its LOCKED.

So my comp supports 400hz pc3200 i ahve 2 sticks of it installed and my bios says 200 mhz and CPU-Z shows 1st stick is 166mhz and 2nd stick is 200 mhz even though they are both 400mhz im VERY confused.

5. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

no one can help ? :(

6. Mimsy

Wait... CPU-Z is the only program stating that your memory is not running at 400MHz?

The 200 in the BIOS needs to be doubled, btw. So it really is 400.

7. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

so even though it says 200 in bios its running 400 ?

8. Mimsy

Yeah, memory works a bit odd that way. The frequency is 200, but the computer accesses the memory twice per cycle. 2x 200 = 400... a virtual number showing the speed of your memory. That's the 400 in DDR-400, which is another way of saying PC-3200. So if the BIOS says 200 for both your modules, then they're running at the advertised speed, and you can freely ignore CPU-Z.

9. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

Ok noe more question i have 3 st icks but shoudl i not USE the 3rd? i would only be placing 1 in the 2nd set of dualchan

10. Mimsy

Run one pair in dual channel if you can, since dual channel is better than single channel. The computer you have runs the channels separate from each other, so if you want to use the third memory stick, go for it. More memory is always better ;)

11. Lithic87

Lithic87 Private E-2

Ok so i took your advice i put the 3 sticks in , but my computer is only reading 1 gb of ram. with 3 x 512 2 in the dual channel slot and 1 in the 2nd pair of dual chan.

But Programs like cpu-z etc are reading 1 gig and 512 1.5 is this just a windows error since its a dual chan slot and only 1 plugged in or is my computer only accessing the 1 gig.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds