CPU won't power up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcjc21, May 28, 2008.

1. mcjc21

mcjc21 Private E-2

Hello, I'm trying to help a friend with his computer, and unfortunatly I know enough to be dangorous.

The cpu won't power up, I followed the diag. on the Dell web site and came to the point where I need to contact them.

There was no flea power led at first, but after resetting the cmos the flea power led came on but nothing else.

I tried disconnecting everything but the 24 pin and 4 pin connectors on the mobo, and still have nothing.

I've tried jumping the power switch to no affect.

I replaced the power supply and still nothing.

A little history. The hard drive crashed a couple of months back and I installed a new one. It had worked fine untill one day it just wouldn't start up.

The computer is :
    Dell E310
    Pent. 4 2.8ghz
    1 megb
    533fsb

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance, Matt

2. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

it sounds like your cpu is history.

3. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

If the mobo/pc has lights on, then it's probably not the psu.

If the pc has ever worked, it's probably the config. i.e. bios settings. Clearing cmos is the 1st step. If there's more than 1 stick of ram, try each stick in each of the slots until you get it to post, load defaults in bios, set up your ram settings.

4. mcjc21

mcjc21 Private E-2

Thank you for the replies.

I tested the original power supply and found that where I'm sopposed to have 3.3v I only have 1.5v. I thought maybe I was testing it incorrectly, so I tested the new psu and had 3.3v.

When I plug in the power cord I only get the led to light on the mother board, nothing else, no beeps, no fans, no nothing.

I know the processor runs on the 3.3v. So with only having 1.5v out of the psu going to the mobo, does this mean the cpu is fried, or could it be just the mobo, or is it both.

If both are fried I don't see a reason to attempt to repair this unit. The money would be better spent on a new unit.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds