Asus eee surf

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katcelata, May 28, 2008.

1. katcelata

katcelata Private First Class

Any thoughts on this? Specifically I am thinking of it as a gift for my 17 yr old son, something he can take around with him. What about the Linux? I am not familiar with it, should I just try to get the Windows XP version, or is the Linux friendly and versatile? the reviews say it is an easy learning curve. Don't have too much expendable cash and want something nifty, unique and useable to put away for Christmas. tks! kat

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It isn't as easy as some other linux distros.
    What does your son usually use a computer for? If it is surfing an emailing and light word processing, it would be fine. But if he plays games then linux isn't the way to go.
    I have a 4G non-surf. (Note: the name is misleading because all models have an ethernet slot and internal wifi so all allow web surfing. None have a modem so if you are on dialup, this is not the computer to buy.) I would recommend non-surf. It comes with a camera (if he uses Skype), and a higher capacity battery so it gives longer times off the power.

I suggest you go to the eeepc users forum and do some reading to see problems people are having. Then you'll have an idea if you and he can handle the learning curve.
    http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds