Building my own PC-PVR,DVR

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frontera, May 29, 2008.

1. frontera

frontera Private E-2

I am trying to built my own PC to use to record from my dish satellite receiver and to transfer all my digital media(photos, music home movies) to it. My major concern is what video card to use. Do you recommend any one? I want it to have the kind of inputs and outputs that I can connect the above sources and the output so I can connect the PC to my TV. With all the other components I think I can manage it ( hard drive, motherboard, os...). By the way, do you recommend any motherboard? how about the new vista? should I go with it or the old fashion XP, or any LInux distro?
    thank you for your time.
    Adrian

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

It may be easier to just buy a ready-made media OEM pc like HP, Compaq, etc. Then if need be, plug in a video capture/input device to record your satellite. Hauppauge makes decent video capture devices. Make sure the device comes with a PVR/DVR program that can schedule recording of tv.

Is the satellite high def or standard def?

What's your budget?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds