Hard drive SMART bad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlb, May 29, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Western Digital IDE 200gb drive has a bad SMART status. But other than that, the hard drive is fine. It passes all other diagnostics without any issues. I know this is a long shot, but is there any way to reset the SMART status? Is it possible to maybe update the firmware and fix it? I know the answer to all this is no, but I really hate the thought of junking a 200gb hard drive that's only 8 months out of warranty.

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

I had a WD HD that was failing SMART a couple of years ago and having bought a new drive to replace it, I low-level formatted it (ie cleared then re-partioned it) and then re-formatted it and two years later it's still working and doesn't fail SMART any more.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds