New RAM Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by _dinsdale_, May 30, 2008.

1. _dinsdale_

_dinsdale_ Corporal

Hi ,

I have a Dell Dimension 9100 XP sp2. 2x 512k Samsung RAM. Until recently very reliable machine. Earlier this week suddenly one stick of RAM stopped working for no apparent reason but once I reseated it, it worked fine again.... this may or may not be relevant to my problem.

Since then I tried to upgrade my RAM by adding 2X Corsair VS1GB667D2 1GB PC-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 RAM, sticks. I replaced the old RAM with these. ie in slots 1 & 2 then placed the old RAM in slots 3 & 4.

Variously this caused the computer to beep and not boot at all, to boot far enough for me to get into BIOS and read that ALL the RAM was installed, and once even a hint of Windows before BSOD.

I removed the old RAM and managed to boot into windows more reliably (after a couple of goes) but the system was very unstable with BSOD crashing the computer before windows loaded all startup programs and then sometimes all was good (and quick too) but then it unpredictably would throw up BSOD in the middle of work!... I can't work like this so I have gone back to my original RAM config. New RAM sitting in a box, but at least I can work reliably without BSOD eating up my work.

I would love to be able to use ALL 3gb of RAM but would be happy to discard the old RAM and just run the new 2GBs. Is there any hope!?

Thanks in advance

Dinsdale

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Have you tried each of the new RAM sticks individually ie 1Gb stick. If each of them work individually then try them together but rather than using slot 1 and 2 try slots 1 and 3. You then at least may get to use 2Gb.

I'm assuming of course that you have checked that your motherboard can take the type and amount of RAM you are trying to get to work. :)

3. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

^^^ What he said. Plus, up the memory voltage in bios. Sometimes a bit more juice can keep the memory stable, espcially true for multiple sticks.

4. _dinsdale_

_dinsdale_ Corporal

Never done this before. Any tips for young player?

5. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

You have to google for your ram specs and put this info in the bios. As for where it's in bios, I don't know your mobo. You have to look at your mobo manual.

6. _dinsdale_

_dinsdale_ Corporal

OK will research more. thanks

Dins

7. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Review this page as see if you have followed all the rules:

Code:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9100/en/SM/parts.htm#wp1058068

8. _dinsdale_

_dinsdale_ Corporal

Thanks Appzalien

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds