Can't uninstall AVG 7.5

Discussion in 'Software' started by dumb miss teen australia, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok Guys ...

Yesterday I downloaded the new AVG 8 version (this time on my laptop running vista home premium).

I discovered flash wasn't working and couldn't download it via adobe, so I did a system restore to use my old AVG 7.5 version.

Then I kept on getting the message: Could not initialize AVG anti virus interface - Application cannot run.

Next I downloaded AVAST as recommended in another of my treads regarding AVG problems.

Then when it comes to uninstalling AVG 7.5 altogether I get the message:

Installer initialization failed due to following error:

Error: Initialization of the language file "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7" failed.
    General failure.

The file folder is still on my laptop and I can't delete all the files as some ask for permission to do so.

I'm a little bit confused and didn't want to do anything drastic.

Regards, Teen.

2. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Was AVG8 installed when you decided to roll back to v7.5 using SR. If that is the case you need to undo your last restoration. And uninstall AVG8. If there is still any trace of AVG.

Download http://www.majorgeeks.com/Revo_Uninstaller_d5706.html

Run Revo....locate and select AVG, hit uninstall. It will further check for AVG in the registry. Check the highlighted items and click next.

3. Thanks sikvik,

I'll try it after work early next week and see how it goes.

Justine

4. Hi Guys, back again with my AVG problem.

I followed your advice and ended up downloading Revo Uninstaller - However it finds no trace of AVG 7.5 or 8.

Apart from the 7.5 icon I still have the following folder on my laptop - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7 - in which there are 60-something files.

I tried deleting individual files again and six still remain. Is there a way of deleting the whole folder?

When I click on AVG uninstall, I still get the same message -

Installer initialization failed due to following error:

Error: Initialization of the language file "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7" failed.
    General failure.

Teen...

5. Sorry - My Mistake!

Just went back and took a look at system restore and I must have picked the wrong restore point originally.

I managed to delete AVG 7.5 using Revo.

Fingers crossed it wont bother me again - Regards Justine.

6. Snikie

Snikie Private E-2

Hi erm I cant seem to uninstall AVG 7.5 when i try it goes to the Uninstall and this error pops up
    "Local machine: installation failed
    Installation:
    Error: Action failed for file avgemc.exe: stopping service....
    Service AVGEMS failed to progress during stopping at checpoint 0 (wait hint 10000 ms) in 90012 ms."
    It says to restart my computer but i did 3 times and nothing changed.
    I'm My computer is a Vista not a XP >.<

7. Snikie

Snikie Private E-2

OH! Thanks For the help lol it worked.:):)

8. Beaker_GJ

Beaker_GJ Private E-2

I had a similar problem but I could not use system restore because the computer had a virus on it which messed up all the restore points. I tried using AVG's uninstall program, but that only removed it from Add/Remove programs and never removed the program from Windows. Even Revo was unable to uninstall it.

The solution was to download AVG version 7.5 from File Hippo http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/3902/ and then run the installer. The install program did not see it as having been previously installed, so I did a full install of the old version and then re-booted the PC. From there I was able to use Add/Remove programs in Control Panel to uninstall the program. After one last reboot I was finally able to install the latest version of AVG.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Good to know, however this is a very old thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds