gateway laptop won't power up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ccemach, May 30, 2008.

1. ccemach

ccemach Private E-2

my wife has gateway laptop, about 2 years old and now it just refuses to power up. adaptor was tested and it was good. what else could it be? any help or insight will be greatly appreciated.

2. mcjc21

mcjc21 Private E-2

Does it make any noise, like fans or beeps?
    You could try reseating the memory.
    I know some Dell laptops had problems with power connectors breaking away from the motherboard.

3. ccemach

ccemach Private E-2

thanks for the reply. nope, it does not make any sound. it seems to be completely dead. I will try your suggestion. again thank you.

4. mcjc21

mcjc21 Private E-2

you might want to try resetting the cmos. I've had a couple of laptops that seemed to just get confused, and removing the cmos battery and clearing the flea power seemed to wake them up.

5. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

This was a problem on many Compaq laptops too.
    Usually you could feel "play" in the connection where the adapter cord fit into the back of the computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds