Unsure if RAM is compatable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eggs, May 31, 2008.

1. Eggs

Eggs Private E-2

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Perhaps it would be easier to identify your ram by looking up your motherboard?
    Crucial has a pretty good search. If you have the motherboard box comptable ram will be listed on it. If your motherboard supports two types of ram you may want to toss the older type and just replace with new for a little speed boost.

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

That narrows it down to DDR or DDR2. They have the notch in different places.

Try DOA's scanner, and if you have questions, you can always post back with a link to your scan results, and we'll answer what we can for you.

4. Eggs

Eggs Private E-2

the type of mobo ive got is an asus p4sd-la. i was not sure where to look to find out info about it that i could trust. i have had a look on a website and it looks right to me atleast. thanks for your help

5. Mimsy

According to this vendor your board supports PC-3200, also known as DDR-400, and up to 1GB per slot.

Those specs should be enough to help you find the RAM you need. Go for established brands with a limited life-time warranty, like Corsair, Crucial, or Kingston, and if you have questions or are unsure about anything about the memory you're thinking of buying, just post back here. We'll help you to the best of our ability. :)

Edit:
    The memory you linked to in your first post fits the specs, and is among the established brands I mentioned. If you like that one, go for it.

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Importantly if buying RAM is this to add to your current RAM or to "replace"? If it is to "add" to existing you really need to try and match up the RAM size, SPD (timings) and "speed" as much as possible otherwise they may not play nicely together (cause system instability and or crashes)!!! Could you please DL and install EVEREST:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Expand Motherboard then click on SPD and report back what the info is please. That is the important info that you need to match up!.

7. Mimsy

Actually, technically you don't need to match size. Just make sure to keep one size in the black slots and ones size in the blue, and you'll be good. Everything else BE said applies, though. Match speeds if you can.

If you have "regular" RAM, that is, no performance RAM or special gaming RAM, the timings will follow the JEDEC industry standard, and will work together.

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Good point size difference is okay but "speed", i.e. DDR-400 or DDR-333 etc etc can cause some conflict (all RAM will be slowed to match the slowest speed) with some RAM brands. Also if the SPD "timings" are different, often written like; 4-4-4-18 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) in my case, for different RAM can cause instability (basically the RAM is having troubles keeping in time with each other and the CPU, it's like 2 poor dancers who keep stepping on each others toes). This can be resolved but means you may have to manually set these SPD timings in your BIOS and basically find a middle ground between the different settings.

9. Eggs

Eggs Private E-2

i was going to buy a pair of them, because i have a 512mb stick at the moment.
    do you still need me to look on everest? thanks for your help peeps. much appreciated.

10. Mimsy

The parts you linked to are not JEDEC standard parts, that is to say, they have their own timings and voltage, and as a result they may not play well with non-gaming memory. That's very common for gaming RAM, to be honest. This part is the same brand, but standard CL and voltage for DDR memory, and is more than likely to work a lot better with your 512MB stick: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(11636)OCZ-1GB-Value-DDR-PC3200-400MHz-Memory.aspx

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

It would be nice to know what brand you do have and the model but it can probably be worked around. It is quick to DL EVEREST and will empower you slightly, so no loss.

12. Eggs

Eggs Private E-2

here is the report for it.

[ DIMM1: Infineon 64D64320GU5C ]

Memory Module Properties:
    Module Name Infineon 64D64320GU5C
    Serial Number 01167420h
    Manufacture Date Week 21 / 2004
    Module Size 512 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
    Module Type Unbuffered
    Memory Type DDR SDRAM
    Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
    Module Width 64 bit
    Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
    Error Detection Method None
    Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings:
    @ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
    @ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
    @ 133 MHz 2.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Memory Module Features:
    Early RAS# Precharge Supported
    Auto-Precharge Not Supported
    Precharge All Not Supported
    Write1/Read Burst Not Supported
    Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
    Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
    On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
    Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
    Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
    Differential Clock Input Supported
    Redundant Row Address Not Supported

Memory Module Manufacturer:
    Company Name Infineon Technologies AG
    Product Information http://www.infineon.com/cgi-bin/ifx/portal/ep/home.do?tabId=1

i was planning on getting 2 new sticks. and that other type of RAM which you linked to me is the same price. but u say it will run faster on my pc? would i be better off gettin 2 gaming memorys, as i was just going to leave my other RAM stick out of my pc. thanks

13. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Well they are actually the same speed, that is PC3200. They should be okay in your system. The ones you linked in the first instant have tighter timings (lower numbers) and may actually be "very slightly" faster but the ones linked by Mimsy have very similar timings to your current 512Mb and thus may be able to be used in conjunction. You could choose either or but if you want to use your current memory as well these might be better:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(11636)OCZ-1GB-Value-DDR-PC3200-400MHz-Memory.aspx

But if you just want to use the new RAM then:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(22641)OCZ-1GB-Platinum-XTC-Edition-EL-DDR-PC-3200.aspx

are in theory better. It would be very difficult to notice the difference though.

I was just hoping to point out the important parameters about timings and speed I hope I didnt over complicate things, just didnt want you to add new parts and then encounter problems when we could minimise that chance before you bought.

Remember those timings, or how you obtained them, as they may be important at a latter stage.

14. Eggs

Eggs Private E-2

i understand what you mean about the timings having to match but i am after 2gb of RAM so ill buy the two new sticks. thanks for all your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds