Getting out of safemode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bclarkdrg, May 31, 2008.

1. bclarkdrg

bclarkdrg Private E-2

I am setting up a laptop with a broken monitor. Norton found a "hacktool" virus and suggested Run: Msconfig, then boot.ini and select /safeboot to go after the file ("diroot.exe") to manually delete it. Well, re booting in safe mode made my external monitor not work. The LCD is shattered, so I can't see what I'm doing. How do I get it out of safemode so I can see the external monitor again? Then maybe I can go into the bios and tell it to default to a CRT.

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

in msconfig, go to boot.ini tab, uncheck /safeboot, ok

3. bclarkdrg

bclarkdrg Private E-2

I need to know if there is a key combination to do that, because now that it is in safemode, the external monitor is not working and the LCD on the laptop was crushed and does not work at all. Therefore, I cannot see to click on Start/Run/MSconfig, etc. This is the essence of my problem.

4. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

boot to safemode
    when harddisk seems to idle, press down key once for 1st account on the list, twice for 2nd, etc. until it's admin account
    enter password to log in as admin
    when harddisk seems to idle, press enter
    press Window key & R key
    enter msconfig
    press SHIFT-TAB for tabs
    press right key 3 times for BOOT.INI
    press ALT F to uncheck "/SAFEBOOT"
    press Enter for ok
    press power button to shut down pc

5. bclarkdrg

bclarkdrg Private E-2

WOW! You should work for NASA! As soon as it gets quiet enough to hear a spinning hard drive, I'll try this "recipe for success". Thank you for the personal attention.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds