Laptop wireless access to wired network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hafr, Jun 1, 2008.

1. hafr

hafr Private E-2

OK, I don't have any experience with wireless networking other than connecting a laptop to a wireless router for internet access.

I picked up a Belkin F5D7230-4 G router yesterday. I connected the modem port of the router to a network switch port. The laptop connects to the internet, but it does not recognize any network PCs nor do any network PCs recognize the laptop. The network is set up as a workgroup rather than as a domain. I have set the laptop as a member of that workgroup.

I tried connecting the router directly to a networked PC, with the result that the laptop could still access the internet and recognize the attached PC but no other members of the workgroup, but the attached PC could no longer recognize other members of the workgroup.

Internet searches have not provided me any clue as to what I am missing.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

It's too bad that networking has never been made as simple as clicking "make it so" & all the computer can see each other & go online. I think this area needs a lot of work. It can be done, but nobody seems to care.

If you still have your old router, hook it up to a pc, print out every page in the Web setup, apply these settings to your new router.

If the settings are lost or no longer accessible, you might have to rebuild your network. Particularly, the TCP/IP settings of each computer on the network.

What kind of sharing is it? NETBIOS? Any special software? Is there a server? Do you need a workgroup when you don't share files/printer?

3. hafr

hafr Private E-2

After a lot of research and checking a lot of settings, it finally dawned on me that the wireless router was assigning an IP address to the laptop that was not within the subnet of the wired network. DUH!!!! I think there are a number of ways that I could have resolved this issue, but I settled for reconfiguring the wireless router to be only an access point. The access point still appears to have security enabled, the laptop can now see the network and the network can now see the laptop.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds