Bad sector on hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trussman, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Trussman

Trussman Private First Class

Son's Laptop was working fine when he shut it down Thursday night, now when he turns it on it goes straight to the Safe Mode Screen. Tried using all of the 5 options and it kept going back to Safe mode screen. I F-10 it and went into BIOS and ran the HDD Diagnostic short test, which failed. I went to Seagate and downloaded there Seatools diagnostic test, after which it said it failed with the DST error 07, which stands for bad sector. It said that scan disk with repairs would likely fix problem temp

I can't remember how to do scan disk with repairs in the command prompt mode, which is the only way I can access, so that he doesn't lose all his info. The HD is only 2 yrs old with a 5 year warrenty. Or is there a downloadable program out there I can make into a bootable cd so it would run and fix this.

Any help would be appreciated

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Boot to your Windows disc and enter the recovery console.
    Type chkdsk C: /r and press Enter.
    Let it run, it can take a long time, like over 6 or 8 hours depending on the size of the drive and how messed up it is. You might think the PC has locked up; it hasn't. You might see the progress percentage counter actually count backwards; that's OK. It does that sometimes so don't worry. Just let it run. When it's done, type exit and press Enter. That will reboot the PC. Let it load as usual and hopefully you'll be OK.
    On another note: the drive diagnostic from Hitachi has an option to repair corrupt sectors when they're found. I know what you're thinking: "so what? I don't have a Hitachi hard drive". The good news is that the Hitachi diagnostic will run on any hard drive 100%. I've used it to repair problems with Western Digital drives, and Toshiba drives, and some others, so I know it works. It's a free download, available here at Major Geeks. Run the extended or advanced tests. Here's the download link: http://www.majorgeeks.com/IBM_-_Hitachi_Drive_Fitness_Test_d2828.html

Good luck!
    :major
    [dlb]

(NOTE: there's a space before and after the C: in the command above)

3. Trussman

Trussman Private First Class

Thanks dlb, I ran it also and it came back bad and couldn't complete repair due to severe problem. I even try using an XP disc an run the repairs, which didn't work

I have another HDD just like this one, that works, I guess I'll remove the platters and install them in the good one to see if I can atleast save some of his stuff.

I done that twice before with a regular desktop, both times with success. I also swore I'd never go through that process again, but for my son I guess I can do it one more time, here goes another 10 -14 hours

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds