Windows reboot on insertion of blank disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cheekbones3, Jun 3, 2008.

1. cheekbones3

cheekbones3 Private E-2

Hello, I know this isn't a unique problem, I've seen it in various places around the web, but I've not managed to find a satisfactory solution.

Simply, every time I insert a blank disk into my DVD-RAM drive to be burnt, Windows reboots. This is somewhat tedious.

The problem occurred initially some time in the last year for no apparent reason - maybe a Windows update? Nero 6 has never caused me trouble before, and I got a couple of years of good use out of the drive before that. It still works when reading disks that already have content.

My computer is running XP SP2 with no particularly interesting settings, and the drive is a Matshita DVD-RAM SW-9581.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Ian

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Right click on My Computer>Properties?Advanced>Startup and Recovery>and uncheck Automaticaly restart,to see if the problem will generate BSOD,and we can work for solution.

3. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

When one of my drives acts up out of nowhere the first thing I try is to reinstall its generic drivers by uninstalling the drive from the Device Manager section (right click uninstall). after you click uninstall reboot the computer and windows will reinstall the drivers for the device.

4. cheekbones3

cheekbones3 Private E-2

The problem appears to be solved! It was one of two solutions - I cleaned the registry, and I turned off the "DVD High Compatibility Mode" in Nero. I suspect that the registry was struggling with years' worth of out-of-date references.

Thanks for your input!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds