Is it a good time to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Butcer, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Butcer

Butcer Private E-2

Or is something new goona come soon and make all the current hardware obselte like the pci express did

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

PC technology moves so fast, that trying to keep up can be very frustrating, and very expensive. The best way to go IMO is to figure out what you're going to be using your PC for and kind of make a list of priorities; gaming is first, internet second, video third, and so forth. Then you'd determine how much PC power you need to accomplish those things. If gaming, research the games and see what their minimum and recommended requirements are. Then research parts: I spent 3 weeks researching a new motherboard/PCIe video card/power supply combo. I read reviews from both actual users and the hardware/tech web sites. I compared specs and prices. Checked benchmarks, etc. I was able to get everything I needed for about $350 and I'm really happy with my purchases. But with PCs, there is always the 'buyers remorse' where you see the exact same thing you just bought on sale for 30% less 2 weeks after you bought it, or something better for the same price comes out. That's just a fact of buying PC parts and I just had to get over it ;)

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Have to agree PC Technology evolves exponentially and If you hold off for the new technology you will end up in this constant cycle of waiting.

Also agree with defining what you want....serious gamers know their systems have about a 2 year life cycle and then they want the latest and greatest again.

For non-gamers there are good parts out there now that could last you at least 5 years. To help with a little future proofing a decent Motherboard that takes Core 2 Duo but can readily take the new upcoming 8 Core CPU's and have at least 4 x DDR2 slots for potentially 8Gb of RAM. You can also buy Motherboards that have 4xDDR2 and 2xDDR3 slots, but DDR3 has just recently hit the market and unless your a serious gamer into high-end OCing you wont get any "significant" performance boost from it so DDR2 is fine.

PCI-e will be around for a while longer yet and they have the new cards with DX10, plus you can also run 3xSLI now so there wont be any significant changes in PCI-e over the next year, just greater expansion (more slots and or more GPU's per card).

Here is an example of of DDR2/DDR3 Core2Duo/45um CPU:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0&model=1694&modelmenu=2

So something like this would last a non-gamer for at least 5 years and is readily expandable. Gigabyte also has a similar model.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds