DVD-Drive not opening/not reading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kraft4Prez, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Kraft4Prez

Kraft4Prez Private E-2

I checked some old threads and sorry that I couldn't find a specific answer. I have a tendency to always believe my case is different.

Recently I've noticed when I turn my PC on or off it opens or closes on it's own. I play a lot of games (with headphones) and often happen to look over and it's open. Now I can not open or close it (via button or right-clicking the drive and choosing "eject") When it did finally open by it self (only an inch or so) I put in the disk I wanted, and it did not read it. I changed the plug thing coming from the PSU, and quickly blew out some of the dust in there. I can understand that it may just be shot, I built this about 2 years ago and got the cheapest drive with DVD-writing abilities. I guess you get what you pay for. Any ideas on a possible solution before I go buy a new one?

I should give some more information.

Device properties say it's working properly
    It's a BENQ DW1620
    Drivers up to date

And now that I think about it, last time I used it was to burn a disk in which is failed burning.

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Yup, try that drive in another pc. Or even try another data cable. You know, the thickest gray/black one. If it works, move it back, remove the device in device manager, restart windows, install the driver. Look for a new driver online if possible.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds