Does Flashget harbor malicious files??

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcduke, Jun 7, 2008.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I was trying to download the windows xp service pack3 file and having problems with really slow download speed and getting tiimed out. So, I decided to try out a download manager and installed FlashGet. I've sinced found out that installing service pack 3 is a bad idea and nothing but trouble. I'm also very concerned cuz I've found info that FlashGet and fg180en.exe is a malicious program? Is this site talking about the same Flashget as the download manager? I got this info from PCPitStop http://pcpitstop.com/libraries/ which shows what should be running and not be running in your processes.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I use Flashget and not found it an issue as it now doesnt employ ad based addons, but if you feel this application is an issue then Orbit Downloader is a VERY good one.

Sadly these days malware will take on the legitimate name of a file or process to hide itself, as in this one listed on the site you mention above

If you delete this in Windows Vista, Vista will not start as its a system file... but the worst part is you need to know where the legit locations of these files should be to determine if they are false positives.

Personally if yo have installed Flashget and its in C:\Program Files\FlashGet folder then that is legit ( unless you specified on a custom install another folder or drive ) if not then suspect it.

3. Jambone

Jambone Private E-2

The file itself (fg180en.exe) shows up clean though ;)

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Flashget being ad supported does not mean spyware riddled.

5. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure what to do. I don't like the adware or anything on my computer that I don't know about.

6. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

I use flashget as a download manager myself, I like its convienent integration into my browsers downloading functions. I would warn you though that I do not use any of the newer flashgets 1.80 etc. I only use the last classic version, version 1.73. The reason being after 1.73, flashget decided it wanted to be a torrent download client too and I don't need it as such. But when you install 1.80 and above it trys to open several ports on the PC and would do so without your permission if your firewall doesn't warn you.

After v1.73 flashget stopped installing adware on your PC but imediately after 1.73 (1.80) it started opening ports. In my opinion this is just another form of spying, these open ports can allow the application to report your downloaing habits to advertisers or anyone else for that matter, and I find it to be a security risk so its 1.73 for me.

I also believe that the makers of flashget new that what they were doing was wrong, and thats why they still list v1.73 for download so if they were to get in trouble they could always say you had a choice, you didn't have to install the spying version.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds