Automatic logoff

Discussion in 'Software' started by p2phan10, Jun 15, 2008.

1. p2phan10

p2phan10 Private E-2

I recently removed a lot of spyware/malware with several different programs. After I restarted my computer, I logged on and then it automatically logged off and went back to the logon screen. I have tried entering safe mode and it does the same thing. Please help me!!

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to Major Geeks!

This is not a malware issue. And I will be moving this to the Software Forum where yu can continue to get support.

You may have removed necessary items for Windows to log you in. Typically this happens if you remove the registry keys associated with loading the userinit.exe file or you remove the userinit.exe file. One typical solution is the below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545&sd=tech

which may help if your problem is just due to a registry corruption. If you deleted the userinit.exe file you will have to boot to the Recovery Console and copy one back to your hard disk from your Windows boot CD.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

There's a type of malware that when it infects your PC, the PC will still load to Windows OK, but when the malware is removed, you end up where you are now: the immediate log-on/log-off loop. This was commonly associated with the wsaupdater adware which would infect the userinit.exe file. When removed, you couldn't log back in without making some changes. I got the following info from a link about the wsaupdater infection and how to fix the log-in issues after its removal:
    For more information (and to see what Phase I and Phase II are all about) visit this link:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm
    Read it all completely so you understand what's going to happen and so you know what to expect.
    NOTE: this particular adware infection is fairly old, as is the fix, and it may not work in your situation, but the theory is essentially the same. Somewhere in Windows, the log in routine was changed to use a file other than the standard userinit.exe or userinit.exe was changed or corrupted. You could try copying a known clean version of userinit.exe to the appropriate location on your hard drive. However, I will accept no responsibility for any additional problems that may arise from the use of the info above, or the info at the link I provided.

Good luck! I hope this helps!

[dlb]
    :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds