DVD Drive won't detect disc.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NicmaLauren, Jun 21, 2008.

1. NicmaLauren

NicmaLauren Private E-2

Hi there,

Having a bit of an issue with an LG GSA-4163B DVD re-writer. Currently running Windows XP Media Centre Edition.

The drive seems to work fine for CD's, DVD movies, and burning, however when I insert a DVD-ROM (in this case a Sims 2 expansion pack) nothing much happens.
    The icon label in "My Computer" changes from "DVD-RAM Drive" to "CD Drive" whilst the actual icon itself changes from the standard picture of an optical drive with a disc to a picture of a disc labeled DVD-ROM.

I have checked device manager and it isn't showing any conflicts or yellow ! signs, and I have tried both rolling back and updating the driver which haven't made any difference.

I have left clicked the icon once the disc has been inserted and clicked "Autoplay" - nothing. Also tried to start it manually by putting "D:\autorun.ini" in the run box and recieve a message saying that the disc is not formatted.
    "Windows cannot read from this disc. The disc might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows."

Have tried to look at files on the disc using windows explorer but nothing shows, yet left clicking and looking at the disc properties shows no free space.

The disc itself is fine - have used it on another computer to check. Is it possible that my optical drive just can't decode the file system?

Any suggestions on how to get it working would be appreciated, as my mother would like to play her new game!

Cheers,
    Lauren.:p

2. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Are you basically saying that the disc (Sims 2) will not autorun???

If so have you tried going to My Computer and double clicking on the optical drive with the sims cd.

3. NicmaLauren

NicmaLauren Private E-2

Yes, that is basically what I'm saying, but not only will it not autorun, it won't manually run either! Double clicking on the icon simply produces a blank window with "D:\" in the file path bar.

Lauren:p

4. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Well if every other cd disc that you put into the optical drive (be it cd or dvd, burned or manufactured / pressed) will work then it is difficult to accept that your optical drive is discrimating or faulty with just one disc namely sims 2.

Have you tried the Sims 2 disc in another drive or preferably another pc to see if it is correctly detected or autoruns??

5. NicmaLauren

NicmaLauren Private E-2

As mentioned in my first post, the disc works perfectly well in another pc - which is precisely why I'm so confused!

Is is possible that as it appears as a DVD-RAM drive it cannot read DVD-ROM?

Lauren

6. NicmaLauren

NicmaLauren Private E-2

OK we now have an update!

On trying to play another DVD I recieve the following message "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card."

Have also tried to play same DVD in other apps such as PowerDVD and recieve a similar message. So why can my drive play some DVD's and not others?

I'm just about to restart to see if updating the video card driver has worked. Will let you know!

Lauren

7. NicmaLauren

NicmaLauren Private E-2

So updating the video card driver didn't work. I have now discovered that by using an updated decoder (in this case PowerDVD 6) I can play all DVD movies. However, still no joy with the game. Argh! Frustrating or what?!

Lauren

8. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

9. VOCALOID

VOCALOID Private E-2

Luaren i have the same problem to Ive been through 4 sims 2 DVD rom disks to try and get it on my computer windows vista. i just got a brand new one today. may 29, 2011 and will NOT read not even an icon it will run quietly and will just stop and not do nothing. i tried using the EP packs and the auto run wont let me start it. it will just do nothing and when i do it manually auto run dll. says its currpted when i put in the masion EP pack but one of my old disks it will read occationaly but end up saying, Please insert disk 1. can anyone please help me find a way to fix this problem. please OS is a W. vista mod. :)bangheadSony Vio)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds