Setting up a game server?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bliply, May 11, 2003.

1. Bliply

Bliply Private E-2

Hey Folks,
    I'm looking to set up a game server on a seperate PC as a host and don't know the first thing about it. I just built a new PC and thought my old one could go to good use so me and my mates can link up and frag away without using sites like gamespy/zone etc... I have DSL and a 5 port hub to link the 2 together.
    Sorry, this is probably a really silly question and it's probably very simple, but any help would be much appreciated...

Cheers...

New Rig...
    Gigabyte DDR333 mobo. XP2400. 512 MbDDR333. GeForce 4Ti. Gamesurround Fortissimo 2 Platinum. XP Pro.
    Old Rig...
    Duron 700. 440Mb. GeForce 2Ti. Win ME.

2. Bliply

Bliply Private E-2

Oh forgot to mention, not a LAN but an Online server...sorry...

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

okay, what games?
    first of all you will need to set up your router to forward the ports needed to that server, that are required by the game. Also you might, POSSIABLY consider running a linux server if you were into performance, but it seems you might not be confident enough to set it up, because it is a big hassle, just ask anyone whos done it!.

You might also want to make a dynamic DNS so you dont have to find out your IP each time you want to play, using www.dyndns.org or somthing like that.

4. Bliply

Bliply Private E-2

Thanks for the info Goldfish, much appreciated. I've got to do some research for sure. As far as games, Medal of Honor, Jedi Knight, Need for Speed HP, stuff like that...you're welcome to join the mayhem if you're into that kind of thing, and of course if i can get it to work, hehehe...

Cheers...

5. Suzuki

Suzuki Private E-2

I'm no expert myself, but have hosted several games of Unreal Tournament. The game gives you the option to do it yourself. If you set the computer as "dedicated" in the options, then you can't play on it at the same time and it works quicker.

Other than that - have a look at http://www.homenethelp.com - there's often useful stuff in there.

HTH

Steve.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds