New Startup Items

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jud149, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

I just noticed 3 new startup items and can't seem to find any info on them. Does anyone know what these are and it they are needed?

ATPStartupAssistant
    MaxMenuMgrBasics

The third item has no name or command listed. How do I track this sucker down?

2. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

what windows are you using.

If you are using xp then you can use msconfig.

start -> run and type 'msconfig'

Here you can specify what items you want to start upon startup. deselect the above and your good to go.

if your using win2k 'msconfig' is not installed as default but you can just download the exe. do a search in google.

Vista has it installed as default and works the same as winxp

if you dont know the name of the third one then how do you know its starting,.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

4. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Thanks for the response. My system is XP Pro, SP3. According to Chas of the Malware Forum, deselecting should not be done, for malware reasons I believe. Anyway, I just want to find out what this stuff is before I decide to do anything with them.

As far as the third unknown item, I know it is starting something as it is on the MSConfig list as doing so.

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

:p

I already corrected my post. lol

Ok..someone delete this one too

6. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Thanks, Tim. Yes, I do have Fidelity. I know why Fidelity is there now as I just downloaded a newer version. As for the hard drive, that also is new and I don't why it's there. Lastly, how do I find something out about the unnamed startup item?

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Post a picture of the icon and maybe someone will recognize it.

8. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

What I'm saying is that when looking at the System Configuration Utility (found by hitting Start, Run, entering msconfig, and then Startup) and looking at the items, there is one item that shows neither the startup item nor the command. Both fields are blank. I cannot find a way to copy this page. How do I find out what this item is? Thanks for the response.

9. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Using Startup Manager, I shut this item down. But it, too, had no name or comand. If anyone has any ideas about this I'd appreciate your comments.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds