installing AVG

Discussion in 'Software' started by dalkiel, Jun 27, 2008.

1. dalkiel

dalkiel Private First Class

Hi when i start installing AVG 8 (newest version) the installation almost finishes and then rolls back with this error message

Local machine: installation failed
    Installation:
    Error: Action failed for file avgmfx86.sys: starting service....
    Error 0x8007007f

Any suggestions? I have WinXP pro. P4 2.66

Thanks in advance

2. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

generally this can be caused is other conflicting antiviruses and things that are already running.

uninstall or close all other antivirus stuff.
    uninstall avg7 aswell

see if that helps.

it may also be caused if you dont have permission to start or stop services on your pc.
    are you logged in as an admin or another user with appropiate privleges.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Are you upgrading from AVG7? if so uninstall AVG8 then download and install AVG8

AVG8 installer ( worth getting again incase your downloaded version was corrupted )

4. dalkiel

That makes sense since i just uninstalled Norton antivirus and liveupdate.
    I guess there are still some fragments left around. How can I purge Norton's leftovers completely?

FIrst time AVG debuts on this PC although i have it on my laptop.

Thanks for your replies

5. DavidGP

Hi

Yes to remove any reminents run this Norton Removal Tool SymNRT

the run say CCleaner and its Cleaner and Registry tool ( run the registry tool a few times until nothing is found ) to help clear any other left overs, also go into Program Files folder and remove any old Norton or Symantec folders.

6. dalkiel

Thanks Halo
    Appreciate it

7. dalkiel

I followed your instructions Halo but i'm still getting the same error.

I did everything at least 3 times

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

From what I've read, this error is from registry entries left by AVG. Look through the registry for AVG. If you can tell it is from Grisoft AVG, then delete the entry. Then try and install it again - be sure that no other antivirus or antispyware program is running that can affect the install.

9. DavidGP

Hi

When you run the installer are you also given the option to uninstall or repair? maybe that its the service for AVGs scanner that has not started correctly, info here on repair or uninstall from the installer http://www.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-948#faq_948

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds