Editing my Bios

Discussion in 'Software' started by LI_Geek_95, Jun 27, 2008.

1. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

I need help. I want to modify my bios so that when my computer boots up, it will display what I want it to. I am going to build a couple of computers, and I want them to do this. I will try modifying my Bios on a Virtual Machine first. I understand the risks.
    Thank you in advance,
    zDawg32
    P.S. To anybody else who wants to do this too,
    If you make a mistake, your computer can be destroyed forever. You cannot hold me, or anybody who puts up information on this thread responsible for damages done to your computer.

2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

What exactly do you want to do?

The BIOS (Basic Input Output Systems) does not determine what programs start when you start your computer; it simply tells your computer what input and output peripherals are connected to your system.
    If you are trying to get certain programs to start on boot up, the easiest way to do this is to place shortcuts to the program(s) into your Start Up folder. (C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Start Menu\Programs\Startup)

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I believe Dawg wants to change the splash screen.

4. LI_Geek_95

Yup I want to change the Splash screen. I don't know that is part of the Bios, though.... :confused
    Yeah. I want to use a bitmap of my own.

5. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

No, the Windows splash screen is not part of the BIOS
    To change it, you need to find the file "LOGO.SYS" (in your C drive's root directory) and rename it to oldlogo.sys (or anything you prefer, actually. I only suggest you save the original in case you decide later to change it back)
    Then make sure your new image is a bmp with 256 colours and 640x480 pixels.
    (A jpg will not work)
    Then resize the image to 320x400 because the Windows boot process will stretch your image to the required above dimensions (640x480) and save the file as LOGO.SYS and save it in the C:\ directory.
    Then reboot and enjoy your new splash screen.

6. LI_Geek_95

Not that! I mean when it display sthe Dell or IBM or Gateway or HP logo at the beginning. But thanks for the other one, logo.sys. I needed that too. Anybody know the other one?

7. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

If this is an Intel motherboard:
    http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/gen_indx.htm
    is a program will allow you to add your image to your BIOS user flash area.

Please note that there is only 4 KB flash-memory user area available for displaying a custom logo during POST. Since this area is only 4096 bytes (4 KB) in size, the *.USR (LOGODATA.USR) file is limited to 4224 bytes (4096 bytes + 128 bytes User File Header).

I have never used this and can't offer any support to its use.

8. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Please note that the file logo.sys is most likely a read only file.
    Its attribute must be changed before it will allow you to rename it.
    (Right click on the file name in Windows Explorer and uncheck the "read only" box)

9. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

This should have read:
    (Right click on the file name in Windows Explorer, click on Properties and uncheck the "read only" box)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds