Help Please

Discussion in 'Software' started by Glamis77, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Glamis77

Glamis77 Private E-2

Spybot wouldn't load. Around the same time, wile surfing the web via Mozella, text font and size were somehow changed. When I would double click the SpyBot icon, and it would flash down my screen. So, I uninstalled SpyBot, and downloaded a fresh instillation file from here. When I attempted to install, at the point at which the window says, "setup is now downloading additional files to your computer," no files would download, and I would eventually receive a windows error message stating: "Error sending request. The server name or address could not be resolved."

I was told it might be CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller (v1 and v2). Downladed and ran the coolwwwsearch.SmartKiller (v1/v2) Mini Removal, and found nothing.

Then performed all tasks as required by the Read Me & Rune Me First thread.

Removed listed programs via Add/Remove. Updated Sun Java. Ran CCleaner. Neither SuperAntiSpy nor Malwarebytes found anything.

However, when Combofix had completed, I received an error message this error message: "Cannot import creg.dat: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes." Also, the Add/Remove program would no longer work -- I call it up, but the window remains blank. The Search for Files or Folders window, additionally, now has a strange third section to it.

Ran MGTools.

SpyBot will still not load.

Appreciate any assistance.

Attached Files:

2. Glamis77

Glamis77 Private E-2

Here is the MGTools log.

I really appreciate the information and help I receive here. I've been a long time lurker.

Glamis.

Attached Files:

3. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Sorry but you are not having malware problems. No malware was detected and nothing was removed in any of the scans. Your biggest problem that I see is that you do not have enough free disk space to properly run your computer. You log shows only 581,402,624 bytes free. You need to delete a bunch of stuff or install a larger hard disk.

I will move this thread to the Software Forum where you can continue to get help. I'm also posting so minor items to clean up and so steps to take to remove things from running the READ & RUN ME.

Run C:\MGtools\analyse.exe by double clicking on it (Note: if using Vista, don't double click, use right click and select Run As Administrator). This is really HijackThis (select Do a system scan only) and select the following lines but DO NOT CLICK FIX until you exit all browser sessions including the one you are reading in right now:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {C13BB499-B529-F02D-74CC-CE9ED8218A20} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

The below two ComboFix lines should already be gone but just in case they are still present, fix them too.
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [combofix] C:\WINNT\system32\CF18947.exe /c C:\CF\Combobatch.bat
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [combofix] C:\WINNT\system32\CF18947.exe /c C:\CF\Combobatch.bat

After clicking Fix, exit HJT.

Copy the bold text below to notepad. Save it as fixme.reg to your desktop. Be sure the "Save as" type is set to "all files" Once you have saved it double click it and allow it to merge with the registry.
    Make sure that you tell me if you receive a success message about adding the above
    to the registry. If you do not get a success message, it definitely did not work.

Now let's remove things from running the READ & RUN ME and the above registry patch.
    1. You can uninstall SUPERAntiSpyware now.
    2. We recommed you keep Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as a scanner. It uses no resources except a little disk space until you run a scan.
    3. If we had you use ComboFix, uninstall ComboFix (This uninstall will only work as written if you installed ComboFix on your Desktop & renamed it like we requested.)
      • Click START then RUN and enter the below into the run box and then click OK. Note the quotes are required
      • "%userprofile%\Desktop\cf" /u
        • Notes: The space between the cf" and the /u, it must be there.
        • This will uninstall ComboFix and also reset hidden files and folders settings back to Windows defaults.
      • Delete the C:\cf folder from combofix.
    4. If we had you download any registry patches like fixme.reg or fixWLK.reg (or any others), you can delete these files now.
    5. Go to add/remove programs and uninstall HijackThis.
    6. You can delete the C:\MGtools folder and the C:\MGtools.exe file. You can also delete the C:\MGlogs.zip
    7. After doing the above, you should work thru the below link:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  4. Glamis77

Glamis77 Private E-2

Thank you, Chaslang!!!!

As you suggested, I ran analyse.exe, and did a system scan. Clicked all items you listed, but the second ComboFix line was not there. I exited all browsers and licked "Fix Checked." By way of my Zone Alarm firewall I then denied Qttask and ComboFix to run at startup. Out of curiosity, I did another System Scan, and the qttask and first ComboFix lines were still there. Not sure if this is a problem. I exited the program.

Ran the registry fix you suggested, and received a success message about adding the lines to the registry.

Uninstalled Combofix with the command you provided me via Run. However, I received an error message that there is a system error. I clicked ok, and the process continued. Via Zone Alarm warning prompt, I allowed Rundll32.exe to execute at startup, and I denied another program I did not recognize to run at startup. I received the message that ComboFix was uninstalled.

I could not uninstall SUPERAntiSpyware. My Add/Remove program in Control Panel is still not working, SUPERAntiSpyware does not have an uninstall option, and I am not computer savy enough to know how to do this
    via Run.

Still can't install SpyBot. The Control Panel window and the Search for Files window have been altered and a new section showing nothing has been added to those windows. And my Add/Remove program still showing blank window.

I was under the impression that I could eliminate programs from executing at Startup with HijackThis, but I couldn't find how to do this.

Again, I really appreciate your assistance in particular and the help I get from this board in general!!!!!

Glamis

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

To remove applications from executing at start up use an app like StartUpCPL

6. Glamis77

Glamis77 Private E-2

Thanks for the tip, Lev!!!!!!!

I've discovered a new problem. Microsoft Media Player no longer works. When I attempt to play a media file or execute the WMP application file, I receive an error message: "An internal application error has occurred."

7. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

8. Glamis77

Glamis77 Private E-2

Hey Lev,

I tooled around Microsoft's tech help pages and discovered a cure. And now I realize I should probably attempt to fix something before I bother you guys. lol

Appreciate you help, Lev!!!!!

Any thoughts on my remaining problems? When I would double click the SpyBot icon, it would flash down my screen. So, I uninstalled SpyBot, and downloaded a fresh instillation file from here. When I attempted to install, at the point at which the window says, "setup is now downloading additional files to your computer," no files would download, and I would eventually receive a windows error message stating: "Error sending request. The server name or address could not be resolved."

And the following problems arose after using ComboFix -- the Control Panel window and the Search for Files window have been altered and a new section showing nothing has been added to those windows. And my Add/Remove program shows a blank window.

Again, I very much appreciate the assistance. In short -- you guys rock!!

9. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

When going through the screens prior to installing spybot, are you checking the box to install Tea timer? If so, do not! It causes so many issues before, during and after installation.

Please confirm you have tried to install without tea timer.

10. Glamis77

Glamis77 Private E-2

Hey Lev,

Yes, I am attempting to install without teatimer.

And strange to say, the Spyboy problem is the only remaining problem. Perhaps the Microsoft cure for my WMP problems fixed the other problems. The Microsoft cure was to click Run, type in regsvr32 jscript.dll, and hit ok.

Again, appreciate the assistance!!!!!!!

11. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

12. Glamis77

Glamis77 Private E-2

Yes.

But just in case, I deleted SpyBot instillation file I have, and downloaded a fresh one via the link you posted. Same problem.

13. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

But WHICH download did you choose? You have 6 listed there to choose from.....

14. Glamis77

Glamis77 Private E-2

15. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Sure......I'm certain they are all fine as we test thoroughly here. Try one of the TX ones as I know they are ok as I d/l'd from there myself the other day.

16. Glamis77

Glamis77 Private E-2

I tried the first Texas link listed. Same problemo,

17. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

OK...uninstall Spybot through the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs feature. Remove the installation file you downloaded. Run a cleaner to clean cookies and cache from your browser. Reboot your computer.

It is important you do all these things in this order.

Then download the installation file again from the link given and try to install. Take screen shots if you can of the messages and errors you receive.

18. Glamis77

Glamis77 Private E-2

Hey Lev!!

I cannot uninstall via the control panel Add/Remove Program. I uninstalled SpyBot via Add/Remove when I encountered problems with SpyBot two days ago.

Other than that, I did as you instructed -- deleted instillation file, ran CCleaner, rebooted, and downloaded fresh installation file from one of the Texas locations.

Same problem. Screenshot is attached. That is Microsoft Word in the background.

Again, thanks for the help, Lev!!!

Attached Files:

19. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

OK.....did you click to install the additional components when it gives you that screen for languages, icon s for blind user mode etc? If so...DON'T.

I do not understand why your machine is trying to connect anyway during installation. You have everything it needs to install successfully. Can you click the cancel option on that window when it pops up with the error? If so, does it continue with the installation or what?

20. Glamis77

Glamis77 Private E-2

In the Custom Instillation window, I click Main Files, Download Updates Immediately, Separate Secure Shredder Application, and nothing else.

In the Select Additional Tasks window, I select everything but the Tea Timer.

Yes, I can click on the Cancel option, and when I do, I will be sent back to the Ready to Install Window. (See attached screen shot).

I was not aware that I could install it without being connected to the internet. I'll reboot into Safe Mode and give it a try.

By the way, I was reading a little of your blog. How's the trout fishing out there?

Thanks again for the help.

Attached Files:

21. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

OK....let's break it down in to smaller steps for your computer.

On the Custom Installation window only check main files (which should be already checked anyway) Check nothing else. We can deal with that later when you have the software up and running, This way it will not need to connect to the internet to install.

Do this is normal mode, not safe mode.

btw..haven't got out fishing yet ;)

22. Glamis77

Glamis77 Private E-2

Yes!!!!!!

It installed.

And this may point to the problem. Four days ago, I was using SpyBot's Secure Shredder. It was taking forever, and terminated SpyBot via task manager. From that point on, I was unable to load SpyBot, I uninstalled it, and thus was led to check for Malware and post here.

It appears that I still have the Secure Shredder, even though I did not download the Separate Secure Shredder Application.

Thank you very much for the help Lev!!!!!!!!!!!

Any idea what the problem might have been and what I can do to fix anything or avoid it?

23. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I'm not certain why it wouldn't do it, but just knew that you did not need to go online to install it. So eliminating whatever was requiring internet access was the way to go. Some glitch I guess.

Now, in order to have the latest protection you will need to download the latest updates using the software application itself. So..open the app...click on Search for Updates...select an updater from the list near to you..and click Continue. Check all items in the list and click Download.

When it is complete click OK and Exit.

Then in the main Spybot window click Immunize in the left hand toolbar. It will show you Protected and Unprotected items. Click the green Immunize button at the top. Now you should have all zeros in Unprotected and all figures in Protected. Now you are ready to scan with Spybot using the latest updates. Run this update procedure every time before you scan.

24. Glamis77

Glamis77 Private E-2

Downloaded updates, immunized, and scaned.

Everything's working well.

Thank you very very much your your time and assistance, Lev!!!!!!

Glamis

25. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

My pleasure :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds