Need help with Avast in Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nikilet, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Nikilet

Nikilet Private First Class

When I click on Virus Chest it opens with the following:

Initialization of Chest files

Action was completed with errors!

Errors Report: Program cannot use Chest client: (null)
    --->Description: Access is denied

Detailed Information: Initialization of Chest files
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Program will try to load all Chest files from the following server: (null)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Action was completed with errors!

So if I put something in the Virus Chest I'm not going to be able to get to it. Can anyone offer any help on this? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. The funny part is, two days ago I could open it.

VRDB: I selected it to run only when screen saver is running and then left my computer on and went to bed. Got up late today and it still says that this has not been done yet. I changed it to run when computer is idle. I notice it appears to be running on and off now, but it's been doing that now for 1-1/2 hours.

Vista Home Premium; Windows Firewall; Spyware Doctor

Previously had paid version of AVG Anti virus with Firewall 7.5; updated to 8.0; been in a mess ever since.

Nikilet :cry

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Have you run Avast yet to scan for viruses? Try it and then see if you can open the chest afterward.

3. Nikilet

Yes, I ran a scan yesterday and today.

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Had it found any viruses during the scans?

5. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

6. Nikilet

I did a thorough scan last night and one again today and if found nothing. But just a bit ago I went to start my Hoyle Card Games CD and it reports a Win32:Trojan-gen {Other}. In Googling, one site said Avast has a bug with the Win32:Trojan and it might be a false positive.

I have downloaded the Avast removal utility and will try that.

And yes, there was a folder in my C:/Programs/AVG that had files in it. They didn't look like much of anything and I removed them all.

I will try removing and reinstalling Avast -- AGAIN -- and get back to you. In the meantime, if you have any advice on this Win32 business.

7. Nikilet

I may have just stumbled on something. After boot in safe mode to run Avast removal utility, on reboot in normal mode I went into Windows Firewall and the message in there was that both Comodo and Windows Firewall report they are running ..... I've looked in Add/Remove and C:/Program/ and there is no trace of Comodo.

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

So you have gone in to your Security settings within Control Panel and turned one of them off? Can you see them both in there?

You could also try running a search of your hard drive for "Comodo"

9. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Have you reinstalled Avast with the latest definitions and generated VRDB.
    Are both Fire walls running!! Can you disable Comodo or Windows FW or is the option grayed out??
    Can you install the game on another PC running an alternate AV and check for the Trojan alert. If you get a clean chit one could also try any of the on line scanners to double check. Clean again then it should be a false positive from Avast. Still send it to the chest and send the report to Avast.

Back to the original ques Can you now Access the chest???

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds