Rising Antivirus Free Edition 20.44 , good? bad?

Discussion in 'Software' started by luckyvic, Jun 28, 2008.

1. luckyvic

luckyvic Corporal

Not liking the AVG 8 free anymore,..........

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Avast or Avira Antivir is better, - most freeware/malware experts seems to agree on this top 3 for the moment. (AVG being the 3.)

3. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

SO what do you want?
    You can use Avast like myself.Great antivirus with bootscan option.
    What firewall do you have,cos protection comes in pairs.
    I want to suggest Comodo firewall pro (NUMERO UNO so far).

4. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Join the club.

5. luckyvic

luckyvic Corporal

What I have at present time;

Windows XP Home Edtion SP3
    AVG 7.5 Free Edition (went back from 8)
    ZoneAlarm Free 7.0.473.000
    Spyware Terminator 2.2.2.438
    Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal 2.8.0.854

So far for antivirus I like Avast!, just curious about Rising AV.

6. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Rising Antivirus Free Edition 20.44, good? bad? Not liking the AVG 8 free anymore.. <<

My first computer I had Norton installed and I had nothing but problems with it. It would shut down while updating it would hog all the memory - you name it. After that, I've tried AVG and for many, many years now I've have never had a virus infect or disrupt my computer – never... I mean every once in a while I've had "warnings" and such while surfing, but I just clicked "heal" and it's all gone.

One thing I always suggest to people is to have lots of RAM installed for your Anti-virus because whatever one you use they take up a lot of memory. I went to my sister’s house and her computer was running slowly last January and she had AVG onboard. Turns out she only had 500 MB of Ram. Many years ago RAM cost an arm and a leg, but nowadays the price is way reasonable compared to way back when.

I like getting mine from eBay so I got her another gig of RAM memory for like 29.99 and installed it for her and she was set for life. RAM is so important to performance and it is very easy to install these days.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_AntiVirus
    IMO, I wouldn't trust a company from China to protect my computer.
    I've not seen this mentioned in the comparative AV tests but I have seen the two listed below.

Go with a known product: Avast or AntiVir.

8. Dreamer

Dreamer Corporal

Most of the computer stuff you use nowadays is from china... You could try bitdeffender free edition.

9. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

IMO, I wouldn't trust a company from China to protect my computer. plodr

Regarding the "I wouldn't trust a company from China" comment I totally agree w/Dreamer.

China is actually way ahead of the curve in most software development areas. All of the Asian countries are. The worldwide negative publicity and regarding 'who is to blame' for so many so-called "Chinese virus infections" is often misdirected. Most viruses do not COME from China software makers. They are spread by incompetent users who live in China.

The problem is that China is so densely populated and something like 75 to 100 million people use computers. That is a LOT of targets. Computer viruses rampant in China because most of the casual users who only surf and use e-mail are simply not aware of what not to do (i.e opening attachments from strange e-mail) as well as how to properly protect their machines against viruses or did not use anti-virus software. That's how it spreads like wildfire over there.

However I agree with plodr about "going with a known product" regarding installing any untested or unproven AV product it is always best to wait until it establishes itself over time. Virus protection is best left to those with a longstanding history of competence as well as knowledgeable and reliable support.

Side Note: Whoopie! 900 posts! I'm now 'Command Sergeant Major' Compuable​

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I found with the newer AVG if you don't install the "Link Scanner" it runs perfectly and better than earlier editions. The Link Scanner really bogs down the surfing activity as it is processing every link as any and all pages refresh but if you don't install or disable you get back to normal surfing speeds.....my 2c. Gratz Compuable!!

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I just read a post today from someone who installed the latest update of AVG 8 in a Virtual Machine to see how it went and apparently they now give you the option to not install the link scanner and the toolbar which was sucking up all the cpus. In order to install without these two items, be sure that you check custom install rather than the default.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds