AVI to VideoCD

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jun 28, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I have some AVI files (DivX format) that I want to convert to VCDs. The AVIs are about 380mb to just under 600mb. I have used NeroVision to successfully create VCDs in the past, and it's fast and easy. However, it seems that the size of project can increase dramatically when going from AVI to VCD. A 380mb AVI ends up at 762mb when converted to VCD, obviously too large for a CD. I have tried editing the source AVI (removing intro credits and closing credits) but it didn't help. But this size increase isn't consistent. I've had a 470mb AVI end up as a 690mb VCD, and (as stated already) I've had a 380mb AVI end up at 762mb VCD; that's over twice the size of the source file! Is this because some AVI files are compressed differently? Then the conversion to VCD re-compresses the files into a different, less compact format? If anyone has any tips on how to make VCDs easily, or has an app they can suggest that won't double the size of the source files, feel free to post. Freeware is preferred, but not required. I'd be happy to pay for something that will work....

Thanks!

2. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

I don't go the vcd route too often, I will make them if i download a video already in the bin/cue format of a vcd. Since my setop dvd player will play avi's I haven't had the need in a long time. If I did I would probably use Avi2Dvd. Its freeware that does a good job, and has several benifits and a few drawbacks.

One it has 4 or five different encoders to choose from, it will make dvd5 dvd9 vcd svcd what ever you want. If the avi has 5.1 surround sound it will keep it when making a dvd. It allows you to choose how many disks so you would get 1 - 718,000kb file (700mb) from any size avi if thats what you choose in the vcd window.

It doesn't like and symbols in the name of the video or the path which can be a pain at times and I have had to correct pan&scan setting for proper viewing on a traditional (not widescreen) tv with ifoedit but for what you want it could prove ideal.

It also can use Cinema Craft Encoder but will only work with the 2.67 version and its not free (that didn't stop me from trying it though). I have it.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Geeez... I haven't used AVI2DVD in a real long time and I've pretty much forgotten everything I used to know about it. Maybe I'll give it another look. I think I also have VCDeasy somewhere on one of my external USB drives (I tend collect apps; I have about 200gb of apps on 3 external drives and I only know about one-tenth of what's there ;) ) so I'll look through the externals and see what I can find. I know AVI2DVD is on one of 'em too. Who knows what else I'll find :confused

Thanks for the reminder!

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

if you have nero as your cd burning software there is a feature in it that lets you burn video cds.

5. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Avi2Dvd is still a work in progress so I would go for a new download of a new version that's less buggy. The latest is 0.4.5 beta I believe.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Perhaps you missed the following sentences in my first post:
    ... and this is the reason I'm looking for something else....

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds