Cannot open “Accounts” to access Desktop & F8 does nothing

Discussion in 'Software' started by CindyBob, Jun 28, 2008.

1. CindyBob

CindyBob Private E-2

PLEASE HELP! Have a Desktop running Widows XP Pro that will not open in anyone’s account. Actually it starts to open with “Loading your personal settings” but after a few seconds it closes down with “Saving your personal settings”.

Yesterday I made the following changes:
    1) Deleted some defunct Registry entries
    2) Ran “Spybot” Update and deleted malware found during Scan “HellsLittleSpy” & “CoolWWWSearch.hjg”.
    3) Uninstalled “Ad-Aware SE”
    4) Installed “Spyware Terminator” & “A-Squared”

I created Restore Points throughout the various tasks. Today, I was hoping that, if only I could open an Account in Safe Mode, perhaps then I could access System Restore and put things right. But, damn my luck, F8 does absolutely nothing! All of the Windows Support articles instruct to tap F8 and provide no other options.

I’ve searched and searched through support articles, forum posts and Google and I haven’t been able to find anything that’s quite pertinent to my issue. I may have come close to an answer though. I was able to access the “BIOS Setup Utility” by tapping Delete Key during the boot process. However, I don’t have the skills to know what I should do once I’m there.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Cindybob

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

What exactly happens?

You have to be very quick. Start tapping the F8 key before windows starts to load and repeatedly tap until you get to the options screen.

Your problem is not in the BIOS so if you are not sure don't fiddle in here.

3. CindyBob

CindyBob Private E-2

Please excuse my late reply. I'm visiting my mom. This is her computer that is in crisis, then of all things, she had a plumbing emergency happen, which needed my prompt attention.

I have Started and Restarted dozens of times while tapping F8 quickly, moderately fast, slowly and I've even tried holding it down.

I've done this many times on other computers (tapping quickly) without incident. It's only on her computer that nothing happens.

By "nothing happens" I mean that the computer behaves in the same screwy way whether I tap F8 or not.

Windows opens then goes to the Accounts screen (there are two accounts). Regardless of which account I try to open, the same scenario occurs, System has the appearance of behaving normally because Account starts to open stating “Loading your personal settings” but then after a few seconds it Account closes down with and says “Saving your personal settings”. Then immediately the screen is back at "Accounts"

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Is it a USB keyboard and, if so can you try with another normal one? Preferably mouse too.

5. CindyBob

CindyBob Private E-2

You are a genius! I was using wireless on both and although the keyboard was working, I guess the signal wasn’t fast enough. Trying a good old fashioned keyboard (and mouse) got me into Safe Mode but unfortunately, I still can’t get past the screen listing the existing accounts. It reacts exactly the same (logging me out of the account within seconds of opening the account).

I’ve tried booting up in Safe Mode and Last Known Good Configuration without success.

Any ideas on what I might do now?

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Have you tried the safe mode administrator?

user = administrator
    password = enter unless you've set it different.

Also can you get to the safe mode command prompt?

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I suspect deleting some registry entries and removing a false positive in SB, HellzLittleSpy may have seriously damaged some files.
    Maybe a repair install would be in order?

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

The main purpose of system restore is to fix a damaged registry.

Otherwise repair install would be the next step but we don't know if Cindy has the necessary disks.

10. Kumulus

Kumulus Private E-2

Hi CindyBob,

I have just experienced the same problem as you described (when opening an account the system is logging me out within seconds) after having run Sbybot Search & Destroy and solving some detected problems (HellzLittleSpy a.o.).

Have you got your system running again and if so can you let me know how you fixed the problem?

Thanks

11. jtapscot

jtapscot Private E-2

I had the exact same problem this week. Very frustrating. I tried three different utility programs that I could boot from the CD drive. Norton System Works, System Mechanic, and Fix It Utilities 8 Profesional. Fix It Utilities 8 was the only one that solved the problem. Use it to boot from the CD. Run the "Recovery Commander" then restore a "system restore checkpoint"
    Everything is fine now. Works good. Cost about $30-$40

12. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

Re: Cannot open “Accounts” to access Desktop & F8 does nothing

jtapscot,

I posted your solution at the Spybot S & D forum. This has been a major disaster for a lot of people, from the look of things. Thanks for the info.

I'll certainly be more cautious using Spybot in the future. (No, I am not having any problems, just an interested bystander.)

13. rsavoia

rsavoia Private E-2

Is this the result of a false positive or is it a real infection of HellzLittleSpy? If Spybot really detected it, simply restoring the registry would get you back to the desktop but wouldn't remove the malware.

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It is a false positive.

15. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

Re: Cannot open “Accounts” to access Desktop & F8 does nothing

There's a thread about this at the Spybot message board here:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30030

Some have found that creating a "Bart CD" as per instructions on a link from that thread helped them.

I would be interested to know what exactly Spybot is saying about its findings when it says a computer has this particular malware...What file is it identifying as being the malware or infected?

16. CindyBob

CindyBob Private E-2

I’d like to thank each and every one of you that has taken the time to provide some of your thoughts about my post.

It is unfortunate for me (and especially for my mom) that I had to leave her place and head back home a couple of days ago. It will probably be several weeks before I get back to her place.

It’s a shame too, because I sure would have liked to be able fix it for her before I left.

This is my first try at posting on a forum and I’m truly impressed at the knowledgeable courteous members at Major Geeks.

17. Darkechylde

Darkechylde Private E-2

Same problem with me.Spybot detected Hellslittlespy and I deleted it.That didnt work.My problems started to be a double log on log off.If one listens one can actually hear it logging in twice as it does when logging out.
    This problem was NOT caused by Spybot.I have used Spybot for several years and find it to be very reliable.The virus rewrites ones User init.exe file in the System 32 folder and as we all know this file is necessary for log on procedure.My only solution to this was reformat.Hope this helps

18. Darkechylde

Darkechylde Private E-2

Upon further research into this pain in the A@@ I find that apparently Older versions of Spybot detect this when updated with the latest definitions.A quick fix was suggested apart from reformat,this being to create a BART PE disc.
    Once into the registry changed the logon

The normal entry looks like this from a registry export (Windows XP):

Code:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    "Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe,"

Or like this in Registry Editor (regedit.exe):

Code:

Userinit REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Dont forget the , after userinit.exe

Hopefully somone gets something out of this.The problem is spread worldwide and has been around for quite some time.Spybot has suggested to switch to h
    the new version ,which by the way is now at 1.60.Im using 1.5.2 on my other PC (XPsp2) and it didnt encounter the Hells liitle Bitch I mean spy,and that was with full updates.However with another PC I was running 1.3 on an XP sp2...With full updates,Everything was fine until I deleted Hellslittlespy ,then after shutdown I couldnt reboot.

One option Is to change the registry as I mentioned above or reformat as I did.
    After youre all back to normal Get the latest Spybot 1.60 all the latest updates and youre rockin'

If you have to reformat may I suggest throw an empty 10 G in there as Master and format that with the OS,Use your original drive as slave ,Then when your up and running you can rescue files off your slave,being that it still contains all your original C drive files.

:zzz

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds