VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP Driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pavazo, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Pavazo

Pavazo Private E-2

Hey everyone, im looking for a driver for this card: VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP from 2004. Problem is when I installed this driver it gave me an error at the end saying "Windows couldnt complete instalattion..blah blah" and testing a game (Wolfenstein: ET, which I played in this PC long ago with no problems) gor this error:

ET 2.60 win-x86 Mar 10 2005
    ----- FS_Startup -----
    Current search path:
    C:\Archivos de programa\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\etmain\pak2.pk3 (22 files)
    C:\Archivos de programa\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\etmain\pak1.pk3 (10 files)
    C:\Archivos de programa\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\etmain\pak0.pk3 (3725 files)
    C:\Archivos de programa\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\etmain\mp_bin.pk3 (6 files)
    C:\Archivos de programa\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory/etmain

----------------------
    3763 files in pk3 files
    execing default.cfg
    couldn't exec language.cfg
    couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
    Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
    ...detecting CPU, found Intel Pentium III
    Bypassing CD checks
    ----- Client Initialization -----
    ----- Initializing Renderer ----
    -------------------------------
    ----- Client Initialization Complete -----
    ----- R_Init -----
    Initializing OpenGL subsystem
    ...initializing QGL
    ...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
    ...setting mode 4: 800 600 FS
    ...using desktop display depth of 32
    ...calling CDS: ok
    ...registered window class
    ...created window@0,0 (800x600)
    Initializing OpenGL driver
    ...getting DC: succeeded
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 0 )
    ...43 PFDs found
    ...hardware acceleration found
    ...PIXELFORMAT 6 selected
    ...creating GL context: failed
    ...failed hard
    ...restoring display settings
    ...WARNING: could not set the given mode (4)
    ...setting mode 4: 800 600 FS
    ...using colorsbits of 16
    ...calling CDS: ok
    ...created window@0,0 (800x600)
    Initializing OpenGL driver
    ----- CL_Shutdown -----
    RE_Shutdown( 1 )
    Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
    ...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): failed
    ...releasing DC: failed
    ...destroying window
    ...resetting display
    ...shutting down QGL
    ...unloading OpenGL DLL
    -----------------------
    Q_strncpyz: NULL src

Help is REALLY appreciated:)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. Pavazo

Pavazo Private E-2

Thanks for reply, how can I know which motherboard I have?

4. DavidGP

Hi

What is make and model of your PC ( as in say HP, DELL etc )?

Also to find motherboard info you can use this free application Everest once installed and run click Computer > Summary and under Motherboard look for Motherboad Name and post the full name

5. Pavazo

Pavazo Private E-2

Thanks again :D

About the maker of the PC, it was built. Dont know if it still should have a "brand"
    Motherboard Name: ECS P4M800-M / Epox EP-4VKMI

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  6. DavidGP

Hi

Try the original driver for the motherboard here as its a 2004 one ( listed under VGA )

7. Pavazo

Pavazo Private E-2

Thanks again, it seems this is the driver, but I have problems installing it:

=========== S3SETUP LOG FILE - Started at 13:27:16 on 6-29-2008 ===========
    S3Setup v(1.01.25) 1.00.03-DC/1.00.03-WD/1.00.04-AC/1.00.20-JV/1.00.15-CL/1.00.46-M7/1.00.10-SS/1.00.29-G4/1.00.25-M5/1.00.45-MS on Win XP
    bAllowReboot: TRUE
    bSilentReboot: TRUE
    bPromptReboot: TRUE
    bPromptSilentReboot: FALSE
    bRemoveWindowsINF: FALSE
    bDisableMenuAnim: TRUE
    bDisableMenuShadow: TRUE
    bDisableAlphaSelect: TRUE
    VendorID to find:1106
    INF File Located at: C:\Documents and Settings\PP\Escritorio\DRIVER\kmviagi.inf
    Found - ven:1106 dev:7205 ss_dev:7205 ss_ven:1106 rev:01 bus:01 devnum:00 func:00 (inVGA=0)
    Enumerating Display class devices...
    Display #0 has DevInst=00002ABC
    Instance=PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3118&SUBSYS_31181106&REV_02\4&354AEA31&0&0008.
    Display #1 has DevInst=00002B40
    Instance=PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3118&SUBSYS_31181106&REV_02\4&8CA73A7&0&0008.
    Display #2 has DevInst=00003140
    Instance=PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_7205&SUBSYS_72051106&REV_01\4&8CA73A7&0&0008.
    Found matching display.
    No more displays.
    Found InstID=PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_7205&SUBSYS_72051106&REV_01\4&8CA73A7&0&0008.
    Found Mfg line: "VIA.Mfg".
    Description="%viagfx.DeviceDesc0% = viagfx, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_7205".
    'DriverVer' is 6.14.10.0179, 'DriverDate' is 09/27/2004.
    Calling UpdateDriver... with PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_7205&SUBSYS_72051106&REV_01
    and INF path at C:\Documents and Settings\PP\Escritorio\DRIVER\kmviagi.inf
    Started Timer window in background.
    Doing copy logging.
    Finished with copy logging.
    UpdateDriver forced install (PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_7205&SUBSYS_72051106&REV_01) failed->5.
    UpdateDriver forced install (PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_7205&SUBSYS_72051106&REV_01) failed->5.
    UpdateDriver failed, returned 5. Cannot install.
    DestroyTimerWindow OK, but no timer dialog action occurred.
    Couldnt complete instalation.

This is the same error I got before, I read something it could be related to the different user profiles in the PC. If I can fix this, most likely it will be done :confused

8. DavidGP

Hi

As your on XP are you installing this from the admin account?

9. Pavazo

Pavazo Private E-2

Yup, there also 2 other admin accts. If this helps I have VIA/S3G Display Driver installed, also S3 S3Trayplus, S3 refreesh lock, overlay, info, gamma, config3d, cromo, but I dont think ive used those applications before, they might have worked before along with the driver. I dont know why instalation cant be completed, and the current drivers are prolly not working or not installed correctly.

10. Pavazo

Pavazo Private E-2

Reading the installation logfile I found this:

#E033 Error 5: Acceso denegado.

Which means Access Denied, basically I think its trying 2 install but due to some problem with user accounts, it gets access denied therefor installation doesnt complete.

11. DavidGP

Hi

Do you have the likes of Spybot S&D installed? if so disable it and your antivirus as these can halt installations, especially when some of the information needs to be written to the registry.

Uninstall the current drivers then try and install the ones you want, even try in safe mode to install the VGA drivers.

Or as the drivers are in a zip folder and I hope you have unzipped it before running the setup? once unzipped you could try a manual install of the drivers, from Device Manager, hopefully my instruction below is still correct for XP.

Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.

On the Device Manager tab, double-click the "hardware device that needs the drivers" and then rightclick Properties.

On the Driver tab, click Update Driver, and then click Next > Select "install for a list or specific location" this time and click next > check "include this location in search" and Click the browse button and go to the directory where you saved your new driver > click next and the wizard will attempt to install the driver.

12. Pavazo

Pavazo Private E-2

Ok, I disabled everything regarding antivirus, firewall, spyware, and same result (first step)"WIndows couldnt complete installation,etc"

Doing the device manager thing, in the end I got the error "Access Denied", its definetely an access problem, but I have no idea what it could be, I have the following programs:

NOD32
    SpyBot S&D
    RegSeeker
    CCLeanear
    Windows Firewall

I disabled them temporarly on the services thing in the adiminstrative tools, rebooted, and same results. In safe mode its almost the same :S

this problem sucks! :S

(Thanks for your help)

13. Pavazo

Pavazo Private E-2

I found the CD of the motherboard with all the drivers, but still with this I cant install the VGA driver, I was thinking of formatting...any help with this? I gave up all hopes :cry:cry

14. DavidGP

Hi

Your security applications in the main shoudl not block you but try this before taking the drastic last step of re-installing, in uninstalling Spybot completly in case its got some process still running, reboot and then try again to install driver.

Also have you tried to install from one of the other admin accounts?

As for re-installing XP, remember to backup all your important files, docs, internet favorites etc then this is a great pictorial guide http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_pro.htm

15. Pavazo

Pavazo Private E-2

Ok ill uninstall SpyBot S&D, hopefully it will work tho I doubt it will, no process regarding SpyBot running. Yup ive tried from the other admin accounts. Thanks for help.
    one last thing, is there a way I can view the permisions my admin account has? Or give full power and access ...

16. DavidGP

Hi

Yes open your C drive and right click in blank space and choose properties > click security tab and will list accounts enabled and what their permissions are, click Edit to edit them or Advanced to go in more depth, but try Edit first.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds