Welcome suggestions

Discussion in 'Software' started by Iru, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Iru

Iru Private E-2

Hi.
    I'm searching for help on finding a freeware program to manipulate video, just simple things, like converting between types of archives, cutting out pieces of movies, and fusing two archives or more in one. The program woulld have to be simple, because my computer is not very powerful.
    Also, i asked here a few days ago for a program to convert DVD to AVI. I said that i tried AGK and it was too slow, and the answer were that my hardware was too slow. Well, it is, and i was wondering if it would be enough to increase RAM. The system is a P4 at 2,40 Ghz, with 512 Mb RAM, and a standard Intel graphics card for desktop system in use in normal offices.

Thank you all very much.

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

3. Iru

Iru Private E-2

Ty Lev, ill try virtual dub. Sorry for posting again on the same matter, but its just that i checked the thread and didnt saw anything new. Wont happen again.

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You're welcome :)

We encourage you to keep things in the one thread for the same subject. That way if others want to know what advice has already been given it is easy to follow. Also if others are experiencing the same problem, they can follow the advice through to a solution. Sometimes you just have to be patient if no-one is posting in your thread. It just means the right person with the answer hasn't read it yet ;)

5. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

First off I would not call a 2.4gig processor slow, even if it were running on an older motherboard with an AGP slot. Thats another thing, when it comes to encoding video, often the speed of your video chipset has alot to do with the rendering part of the conversion. So if your using onboard video thats basically there for surfing the web and you have the capability to add a fast card (even if its AGP), that could help even more than increasing your memory to 1gig.

I use Virtual dub alot and even though I have the regular version I also have the Modded version which is a little more versital. The best modded version in my opinion you would get from aud-x.com's download page and if you install the aud-x codec as well that V dub Mod will encode audio to ac3 and even ac3 5.1 surround if need be. Ac3 is very universal in its compatibility with set top players but its a little softer than mp3 or wav so I always boost the volume in the Audio/Streams Section by 246% if I convert to ac3.

Unfortunately, Virtual Dub (modded or not) does not convert to anything but avi and cannot convert WMV or RMVB files at all. For that you will need something else. You could try the freeware SUPER, although I have never used it I have heard its good. Then there is the open source AlltoAvi from SourceForge. Its fairly simple and along with the modded version of V Dub will also convert MKV and OGM files you will find from the Anime Scene (although not without it foibles). The Modded version of Virtual Dub will also open VOB files from dvd's directly and allow you to cut, edit, and extract directly from VOB to avi.

6. Iru

Iru Private E-2

Hi.

Ty both. Ive downloaded VirtualDub but it doesnt handle MP4 files, and these are the ones i would like to edit. Of course, i can convert them with SUPER, i use it and its very good, but it adds one more step to the process. Is there another progrma that can handle MP4? Thank you very much.

7. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

8. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

For mp4 convertion to a normal avi I use "alltoavi", it will do the conversion in one step unless the mp4 is encoded in h264, in that case it takes two conversions, one to fix the file and another to convert to avi. Its opensource.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds