remote desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by plow, Jun 29, 2008.

1. plow

plow Private E-2

I have been using logmein for remote desktop of my Mum's computer. The virus/spyware checker Kaspersky has recently updated. The result is I could not connect logmein to the internet on the host machine. I read the faq's for the software and tried a reinstall but Kaspersky just sees a problem then reboots the computer in a cycle. I have tried taking logmein off startup (xp home), but kaspersky still sees the programme. I had to uninstall logmein before kaspersky ran without rebooting.

I need to remote desktop the host at intervals to run antispyware progs and sort out any problems. Mum is not a computer wizz but could turn off Kapersky with instructions.

Is there any way of doing this without installing any software (or anything that will "upset kaspersky" on the host machine?

Since installing Kaspersky, the computer has had far less problems than other antivirus programmes.

Thank

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

This might be a solution: Using Remote Assistance to Get Help When You Need It. With Remote Assistance, your mother needs to initiate a "request for assistance" from her end.

I haven't used this yet but intend to try it soon, since I also am a mother's computer helper. I may be even doing this yet today. If I do, I'll post back with results.

3. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

i use remote assistance alot. you have to have an msn or hotmail acct (both of you), and have to have it enabled on the other comp (your moms) --> "right click" my computer, "remote tab", then check your settings. i've recently run into problems on my aunts comp (2 different aunts), and i had to shutdown zonealarm firewall (on their comps), on multiple occasions (sp), i'm not sure if it was a setting they saved or what? :confused anyway, it's free, and it does work! ;) g/l, sos

edit - i'm not familiar with the program you were talking about. i'm replying to what usavet was talking about (as i've used it). - sos

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

sosaman, I got this my first try today but did not succeed yet. I believe the problem was that I need to open port 3389 on my router.

When I tried this with my mother today, I installed Windows Messenger (WM) on my system and guided her through installing it on her computer, and then we also got each other's accounts setup in WM and connected with Instant Messaging. I advised her how to initiate a request for assistance and I received that. But, when I clicked on Accept, I waited a few minutes and nothing happened.

I'd just like to confirm one thing. Does Remote Assistance work with Win XP Home? I understand Remote Desktop Connection will not work with XP Home, but I believe Remote Assistance will work with it. Also, if you use a router, can you confirm the point about port 3389?

5. plow

plow Private E-2

Thanks guys. I'll keep looking at your results.

6. ablogmein

ablogmein Private E-2

7. plow

plow Private E-2

Andrew

Thanks for replying - Im impressed that your company monitors our chat :eek:

I have used logmein (free version) for 2 years and had great results with the addition that the host computer does not need to manned.

Kaspersky must have changed their software recently. At first it wouldn't let me reinstall logmein (after deleting a dll file). I tried your company's fix but it still shut down the computer. I then read the forums at Kaspersky and installed logmein with a couple of tweeks. It was stable for 24 hours and then after a kaspersky update it returned to rebooting after logmein tried to "phone home".

I think that we must be a period of transition. With virus checkers using a self defence mechanism. I realise, it will be difficult for company's like yours to stay one step ahead of the changes.

I'm going to sit tight for a while and then use the address you have given me for the help line

Thanks

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Since my last post, I tested using Remote Assistance with a friend. We were not able to get it to work if initiated from Windows Messenger but did get it to work when my friend initiated it from Help and Support (on the Start menu). He emailed me a file which I opened; this resulted in a successful Remote Assistance session. However, before getting to this point, I temporarily opened my router to all ports. My software firewall was still enabled.

9. ablogmein

ablogmein Private E-2

Plow,

Great to hear you're a longtime LogMeIn user. It's Free and it just works (no network changes, no firewall changes, no PC changes) so hopefully we'll continue to meet your needs.

One of our guys had an exchange with a guy at Kaspersky so they should be looking into it and coming up with something soon.

Good luck,
    Andrew from LogMeIn.

10. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

hmm, i've never really had any problems myself. i've not had to change/open any ports on my firewall (i don't even know if i know how - i use zone alarm currently). but, i've tested it myself (internally - laptop to desktop), and have used it with my aunt's as mentioned. i'm not sure if service packs make a difference though (ie - sp2-sp3)? - sos

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds