My computer only starts in safe mode.

Discussion in 'Software' started by alpagio, Jun 29, 2008.

1. alpagio

alpagio Private E-2

Okay, first my OS is Windows Vista, and i have a laptop. My problem is that when i start my computer normally it will start and show its loading(icons and stuff) and then just stop come to a dead hult. Eventually if i leave it like that long enough the mouse will stop working. I am wondering if this could be a hard ware issue because this happend after i dropped some liquid on the laptop near the right Alt and right Ctrl.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Have you installed SP1?

3. alpagio

alpagio Private E-2

I dont know what that is.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Service Pack 1 from microsoft for Vista has caused
    problems in up to 30% of Vista pcs.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

6. alpagio

alpagio Private E-2

Will this erase everything I have on my hard drive?

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

No, system restore is pretty safe and will tell you if it can't perform.

8. alpagio

alpagio Private E-2

This look like it would work if i felt that was the problem. I will try it though.

I am almost certain this isnt happening because of any program i downloaded.

9. alpagio

alpagio Private E-2

Also how can i tell if i have SP1.

10. alpagio

alpagio Private E-2

I restored it like you said and nothing happend it still stops eventually. Sometimes it stops as soon as the login screen comes up, sometimes it stops after i log in and there will be just a black screen, and sometimes it will log in show the desktop load some icons and then stop.

11. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Try running check disk from safe mode.

12. alpagio

alpagio Private E-2

i went threw windows services and found the culprit it was a service called "Windows Search" ... i disabled it and that solved the problem

13. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Thanks for the feedback - it may help someone else somewhere.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds