USB anti-virus

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jun 29, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Whilst surfing the web this afternoon, I came across this: http://www.usbantivirus.net/ Yes, they have several dubious "awards" and any company with its 'contact us' based with gmail is a bit suspect, but I'm not interested in their software per say, I'm more interested in something that will do kind of the opposite of this software. This software immediately will scan a USB flash/thumb drive for malware when it's plugged in, and will stop any infections from jumping from the USB device to the PC. I'm looking for something I can put on the thumb drive that will prevent malware from jumping from the PC to the USB device. I use my own personal thumb drives (which are loaded with killer apps) quite frequently on infected PCs, and have had malware infect my flash drives, which consequently almost infected my home PC (i have good protection and it was stopped).

So, anything?

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Would it be right to assume you have already considered a flash drive with U3 capability?

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Actually, I have a Sandisk 8gb with U3 but I haven't paid much attention to the whole U3 standard. In fact, while I had heard of it for a while now, I didn't really know what it was all about. :eek: So, after reading your reply, I did some research on it (real quick at Wiki) and it looks like it's basically a virtual DVD drive. Is that right? But I can configure it so that it pops up a menu of apps, and then I can choose what I want to launch. I'm also assuming that I can change it on the fly, right? But if I can change it, what's preventing some worm from changing it also? Or does some type of message come up asking if I want to write to the device? Like I said, I did some real quick research on U3 so I didn't get answers to these questions....

Thanks for mentioning U3... It never would have crossed my mind.

(Now I'll have to copy my almost-full 2gb thumb to the new Sandisk 8gb U3 thumb... and it's going to be a big-time PITA configuring 2gb worth of apps to an auto-launch menu... I guess that's the price of safety though ;) )

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I just read this at Wikipedia
    Should I even bother? It seems I've waited this long, another 6 months won't kill me....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds